The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can finally see baby crystals in my crystal tank. It's taken a while for the tank to get proper and them to be happy with it. They are so small, you can a little bit of red and a small white strip or two! I'm so happy. My cherries are breeding like crazy now, my crystals are, my new yellows are already molting like crazy, but its hard to tell with them if they are saddled since they are so yellow already. lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Netlea soil, it keeps the pH around 6.2-6.4.

http://www.aquainspiration.com/productdetail.asp?PIN=SS&PNAME=NTL&PSIZE=NCS9L&PTYPE=Aqua soil

I WC/top off with tap water mixed with distilled water, about 4-1, so I mixed up a 5 gallon jug with 4 gallons of tap water, 1 gallon of distilled water, mix in some Mosara bio-plus, aerate with a airstone for a day or two, and then use that. Its a 7.7 gal tank, I don't WC much, just mostly top off, so it lasts a while. Should be less in the winter as well too, I've been running a fan on top of my tank to keep it around 72c, so it evaporates a lot of water.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how long did you have the crs before you saw babies?
Well I got my first batch maybe 4 months ago, but I had them in my regular tank, pH of 7.6, etc. Then I rescaped and changed tanks about 3 times. Then I got a dedicated tank with the netlea soil and some CBS, then I moved my CRS in around 6 weeks ago, so it took a few weeks of them being there before they started mating and berried, then babies. I have 2-3 more berried ones as well right now, so the tank seems to be good for them.

I actually managed to get a pic.

Looking at it, looks like a no-hino kind of pattern, but at that size, I'm not sure if you start to judge grade or not, but the big clear-whitish band in the middle shows no red.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your kh,gh and nitrate levels?
gH is 6-7, kH is 1, pH is around 6.2, nitrate is somewhere in between 10-20ppm. I have a hard time with the nitrate colors on the API test. They all look orange. lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, congratz! Hopefully they make it to adulthood just fine ;)
+1.

I'm hoping. We'll see. Going to keep the WC's down to a min and just top off as to not disturb the water too much. I saw at least 4 at once anyways, so I know there is at least 4, probably more as that was just in the 1 spot I could see good into my tank with my magnifying glass and the dw in there has lots of cracks and crevices and hide spots, and lots of moss and plants to hide in as well.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks a lot like the baby rilis I have, but a bit more faint. Congrats!
Its a maybe week old Crystal, possibly even younger. My berried female whos went clear and I could see eyes was about 6 days ago when I saw her still with the eggs and they are the only shrimp in the tank. I just found 4 in one spot for sure, so hopefully there is more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.