The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after weeks of waiting to see anything berry in my 2.5 cherry minibow tank i gave up and went to a shop in lower manhattan and brought 10 cherries more to add to the one i already had there where much bigger witch migh have atributed to what happened overnight i had a single berried female in the bag and to my surprise she relleased overnight and now i have 2 more berried which im 100% sure that they werent when i brough them maybe i had all males?:confused: or this forum gave me the best advice ever you should definaltly mix your sources of shrimp.

I may have also stumbled apon some interesting fish also i got them to get rid of planaria lampeye killies which are supposed to be rare,stay small and wont touch the fry according to what the shop said. I only got 3 so i wont overstock the minibow 2.5 espeacilly with the soon to be cherry farm!!! I will some pics to post tonight of the shrimp and the killies

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yes sir only guy who has them at a decent price was win tropicals, pacific wants 4 bucks or more for shrimp but there still cool guys great cutomer service too i got some stuff from them too i got the killes at pacific and brought the shrimp from win.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't believe that the lampeye killies won't eat the baby RCS. Im sure they'll leave the adults alone, but the babies? I doubt it.

Also, you can tell if you have females because they (usually) have a yellow saddle full of eggs on their backs.

Out of curiosity, how much were the lampeye killies?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think 4$ each but i got the 3 for 8$ special....buy 2 get 1 free so i should take them out of the tank just in case please give me your opinions before they take any fry as dinner........also what do i feed the fry?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
As long as you have moss and plants in the tank, the RCS will find food to eat on their on. You could also crumble some of the food you feed the adults to help the RCS young.

I'll let someone else tell you for sure whether the killies will eat the RCS, but the only fish that are 100% shrimp safe in my experience are otos.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the quick reply frost and took the killies out just in case untill someone else clear that up or they stay in my 30g because im enyoing my shrimp tank way to much right now!!! ill post the pictures when i gte to work but those kiliies are a hoot though!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I went to Win trop last week and got two HUGE berried females, and what I hoped was a male to ad to a 10 gal. I wonder if he gets mad that we are buying all his berried ones :)
Anyway, In the 10 I got 12 Boraras maculatus. Some people say that they are good with the babies, some say they are not. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks when the eggs hatch. THis is one of the ones I got.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yes sir only guy who has them at a decent price was win tropicals, pacific wants 4 bucks or more for shrimp but there still cool guys great cutomer service too i got some stuff from them too i got the killes at pacific and brought the shrimp from win.
Can I ask you where is that store exactly located?
Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
win tropicals 169 mott st new yok city between grand and broome and tell him the guy who got 10 cheeries on sunday sent you to see if he start giving us discounts....LOL
and pacific aquarium is on delancy st. tell them the guys who got the seachem flourish and the lampeye killies sent you and try the same rountine there ....double LOL.... Just might work (fingers Crossed)

·
Registered
107 Posts
it cheating, but i love buying berry shrimp. :p i got two berry shrimp and now they are all old enough to get berry. so the infestation starts now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a little off topic but those killies do something amazing that none of my other 15 fish do...... GO TO THE TOP OF MY TANk and stay there.....LOL i think they like bright lights now i need to get more of them..........

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went to Pacific and I got them for 3 for 10.Chi is a good guy there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well went to a larger tank (10g) and reused most of the old stuff but lost all but 1 fry that i can see i hoped a larger tank would help but know im hating myself for it now im down to about 8 shrimp that i can see i lost about 5 last week water parameters aer ok it might be the dead planaria from the dog dewormer causing trouble but all juveniles are fine so maybe its old age???? now i need more plants to stuff in there to help keep thing in check. A ton of moss would be nice gonna check the swap and shop to see what i can get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts