The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - new to the forum!

I have a newly planted tank ~1.5 months now.

I originally had my fish in 20G and transitioned to a 40B because I wanted to incorporate plants.

About 2 days ago I noticed some changes in one of the tails of my angelfish. Today, I see some "whitish" dots on the fins.
The other angel fish has no changes in the tail, but I do notice some fin changes.
No changes in behavior/appetite of the fish.

I have been doing weekly water changes of 30-40% since setting up the tank.

Timed lighting for 7-8 hours using a dimmer.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-20
Dosing all-in-on fertilizer 1x/week.
T: 78F

What are your thoughts on what could be occurring with the fish?
Should I wait it out and see if things get worse?
Or should I quarantine them and give medications. And if so, which ones?

Attached are pictures below.

Thanks!

First fish I noticed symptoms on:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
stunning angels
you defentley have some fin rot on your angels, I'm not sure about ich. But if it was ich, its a very minor case of ich. Lets start off with finrot treatment first.
Option 1) Seeing that you have live plants in that tank, remove the fish and put them in a emty quarintine/ hospital tank (depending on how many fish you have this can be as little as 10-15 gallons) Now start with a salt treatment, the salt will take care of the ich and the finrot. Do a ratio of 1Tb of salt per 3 gallons.
Option 2) Get Mardel Maracyn and do a treatment with that, Keep in mind this won't help with any ick probelms. But with this treatment no QT tank is necesarry. You can always do a Maraycn and Ich-x treatment at the same time. Both meds can work together and are plant safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stunning angels
you defentley have some fin rot on your angels, I'm not sure about ich. But if it was ich, its a very minor case of ich. Lets start off with finrot treatment first.
Option 1) Seeing that you have live plants in that tank, remove the fish and put them in a emty quarintine/ hospital tank (depending on how many fish you have this can be as little as 10-15 gallons) Now start with a salt treatment, the salt will take care of the ich and the finrot. Do a ratio of 1Tb of salt per 3 gallons.
Option 2) Get Mardel Maracyn and do a treatment with that, Keep in mind this won't help with any ick probelms. But with this treatment no QT tank is necesarry. You can always do a Maraycn and Ich-x treatment at the same time. Both meds can work together and are plant safe.
Thank you for the reply TheBettaAquarist!

In regards to setting up a QT -
  • Does it need to be cycled first?
  • Can I take out some filter media from my current tank and place it in there to help with the process (not sure if cross-contamination can occur)

In regards to Option #2, you did mention that it is safe for plants, is this correct? Is it safe for snails?
Will this have an effect on the beneficial bacteria in the tank?
If so, what do you recommend for prophylactic measures, water changes, etc.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
There is no Ich here.
There is absolutely no need for antibiotics here- at all. The fish are healthy but for some stress related bacterial issues on fins with minor fin erosion.
Clean water and some methelyne blue dips or anti-parasitic medication that's active ingredients are methelyne blue, malachite green, and or acriflavine will do the trick. These are active ingredients in Paraguard, Ich X, most proprietary blends used for ecto-parasites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no Ich here.
There is absolutely no need for antibiotics here- at all. The fish are healthy but for some stress related bacterial issues on fins with minor fin erosion.
Clean water and some methelyne blue dips or anti-parasitic medication that's active ingredients are methelyne blue, malachite green, and or acriflavine will do the trick. These are active ingredients in Paraguard, Ich X, most proprietary blends used for ecto-parasites.
I have a bottle of Paraguard at home. Can I dose this directly into my planted tank? If so, should I follow the manufacturer's instructions or any specific instructions?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Thank you for the reply TheBettaAquarist!

In regards to setting up a QT -
  • Does it need to be cycled first?
  • Can I take out some filter media from my current tank and place it in there to help with the process (not sure if cross-contamination can occur)

In regards to Option #2, you did mention that it is safe for plants, is this correct? Is it safe for snails?
Will this have an effect on the beneficial bacteria in the tank?
If so, what do you recommend for prophylactic measures, water changes, etc.

Thanks!
Just do daily 25% water changes for 5 days. Treat with the meds listed in last post. Be sure to add the meds back taken out during water change, Meth blue at 100% should be used in a hospital tank or as a dip- not in main tank. The parasite blends are safe to use in display tankL safe for plants, snails, on beneficial bacteria.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have a bottle of Paraguard at home. Can I dose this directly into my planted tank? If so, should I follow the manufacturer's instructions or any specific instructions?
Paraguard is perfect. Yes, use the instructions of dosage on back of bottle.
You should always use the least invasive medication possible whenever you see issues with your fish. Never jump to antibiotics when another treatment might work. Now, in a couple days if the fish stops eating, is lethargic, hiding--this would tell you there is a bacterial infection that is serious enough to use antibiotics. But, I dont see that here. The angels fins are not close to body- but extended normally, the eyes are bright, the fish is filled out and healthy looking on skin, scales. Etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paraguard is perfect. Yes, use the instructions of dosage on back of bottle.
You should always use the least invasive medication possible whenever you see issues with your fish. Never jump to antibiotics when another treatment might work. Now, in a couple days if the fish stops eating, is lethargic, hiding--this would tell you there is a bacterial infection that is serious enough to use antibiotics. But, I dont see that here. The angels fins are not close to body- but extended normally, the eyes are bright, the fish is filled out and healthy looking on skin, scales. Etc...
Thanks for the informative reply!

Is Paraguad safe for Corys? I have 4 of them.
Was reading online saying that it may be too strong and may need to dose less?

It’s funny that the local fish store person told me that Paraguad is NOT safe in planted aquariums.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
FAQ: Is it safe to use Seachem ParaGuard™ in planted aquarium? Can my plants survive ?
We do not sell or market ParaGuard™ as invert/plant safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert/plant under every potential water parameter. We have both personally used and seen others use ParaGuard™ in planted tanks without stressing the plants, but we've also seen the opposite. If you chose to take this route, we recommend to start with a partial dose and work up to the full dose over time, keeping a close eye on the plants for signs of stress.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Nice point Kubla, I am making my recommendation of safety with plants on my extensive hobbyist experience using this product with my plants. It is anecdotal.
I, myself haven't had any damage to plants with extensive use.

I might add, Ive used it many times with snails, sensitive shrimp, sensitive fish-- absolutely no issues. but, if you are at all worried- use a hospital tank.

Thanks for the informative reply!

Is Paraguad safe for Corys? I have 4 of them.
Was reading online saying that it may be too strong and may need to dose less?

It’s funny that the local fish store person told me that Paraguad is NOT safe in planted aquariums.
I have many wild corydoras and have used Paraguard on them for at least a decade. No issues. Half doses of meds are useless. The recommended dosage is the dosage needed to effect a positive response in fish.
Again, if you are concerned used a hospital tank.

I have many wild corydoras and have used Paraguard on them for at least a decade. No issues. Half doses of meds are useless. The recommended dosage is the dosage needed to effect a positive response in fish.
Again, if you are concerned used a hospital tank.

PS Did the Fish store employee state what active ingredient in this med was unsafe to fish and plants? Or just a generalized -- -"its not safe?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.