The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, I've been back in the hobby for a little over a year now, haven't had any visible fish illnesses (random Otto and Cory death that I was never able to figure out). I've had my betta Cleatus for a little over a year, he was full grown when I got him. He was mauled by a ghost shrimp (unless he nipped at his own fins) and suffered some fin damage about 8-9 months ago, they grew back as best they could (wrinkled) and he's been fine since.

I just finished cycling a new 10 gallon for him (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate, 7 gh/kh, no fertz, no co2) with all new components minus his hiding logs and moss balls from his previous tank. I just moved him in to his new mansion yesterday morning. At first the current was too strong (I thought it would be ok until he actually was in there and it was obvious it was not) but I fixed that within the first 10 minutes of moving him. He seems happy, exploring around, lights off time comes in the afternoon and when the lights come back on I notice the tip of his tail looks torn and slightly "fuzzy." I decide to wait a night and see what he looks like today because I though maybe he had damage due to his short time in the higher current.

This morning when lights come on I see this:

It almost looks like it's attached to the tip of his fin and not really a torn bit of fin. I did a complete water change on his old 5 gallon which I hadn't taken down yet and added 4 teaspoons of salt, got the temp to 78. I'm taken direction from here: http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

Does this look like fit rot or a fungus? Should I in fact be following the above directions? I figured I'd better check with the experts since I haven't ever dealt with this sort of thing before.

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: I just read down farther on that page and don't worry, I WILL NOT be following the "Make sure the fish's filter remains off for a while to promote fin re-growth." advice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Afternoon, it's hard to tell with the single photo you posted. If you can get a focused shot of the suspicious section when the betta is flaring that would be helpful.

Your betta could have been stressed by the new filter and might have nipped himself.

• So you're using 4tsp of salt for 5G?
  • How did you fix the current created by the filter?
  • What brand & model number filter is it?
  • How many days did it take you to cycle your new filter?

When I QT bettas, I try to limit their movement. So 1 gallon is what I would use because treatment usually requires daily water changes. I would float the container inside the main HEATED tank & treat them in that & observe their behavior/progress over the next couple days.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Afternoon, it's hard to tell with the single photo you posted. If you can get a focused shot of the suspicious section when the betta is flaring that would be helpful.

Your betta could have been stressed by the new filter and might have nipped himself.

• So you're using 4tsp of salt for 5G?
  • How did you fix the current created by the filter?
  • What brand & model number filter is it?
  • How many days did it take you to cycle your new filter?

When I QT bettas, I try to limit their movement. So 1 gallon is what I would use because treatment usually requires daily water changes. I would float the container inside the main HEATED tank & treat them in that & observe their behavior/progress over the next couple days.
1) I thought the recommended 1tsp per gallon sounded a little high and I was accounting for gravel and a slightly lower water level in this tank.

2 & 3) I got a new Finnex PX-360 and had the spray bar set up with moss wrapped around it to decrease flow, it was still too much so I removed the spray bar and just put the little director on the end and suction cupped the moss to the glass in front of that to lessen the flow.

4) I took a big handful of media (ceramic rings) out of the canister from my 50 and put that in the Finnex and then from there it was about 12 days of fishless cycling with pure ammonia before ammonia and nitrites reached 0 after being dosed with ammonia daily.

I do have a breeding net I could put in the tank to limit movement. I didn't want to treat him in the 10 gallon with salt due to the plants though, I'm not sure how all of them would handle it. I could use the net in the 5 I think though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a FTS to show setup, it's a little messy but I wanted to move all of his things over until he got used to it and then slowly rearrange/removed things. And the plants are new so they haven't filled in yet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to get a non blurry picture of an angry betta on a cell phone turns out is impossible:/ I tried to take a video but it's not very helpful either. The spot in question can be seen at the tip of the fin after the "white" part that's never grown in correctly after his previous damage. Here's what I got:

http://youtu.be/vY6HcilWeLQ

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like your filter is cycled & everything. The only thing is trying to figure out what your betta actually has... But I'm leaning towards the self nipping because of the reddish area.

Breeding net container is not good for QT. You want to keep the QT water separate from the main tank.

Trying to get focused picture of your betta flaring with your cellphone is going to be tough. But I can't see much from the 1st picture because of the greenish background.

Finnex model is a really good filter, I think wrapping the spray bar with filter floss would work better than java moss to reduce the water disruption.

• One thing you may not have considered is the white sand is highly reflective & some bettas will get spooked by the amount of light and spazz out.
  • Your new tank looks a bit bright, the glare from the sand might be too much. Not sure if your betta will be able to adjust to that. Only time will tell.
  • From all the information I've gathered & what I've seen from my fish, they seem to prefer DARKER tea colored environments.
  • What kind of substrate did you have in the 5G tank?
  • How long did you leave the lights on every day in the 5G tank?

The 1tsp/gallon treatment you've used should be fine for now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like your filter is cycled & everything. The only thing is trying to figure out what your betta actually has... But I'm leaning towards the self nipping because of the reddish area.

Breeding net container is not good for QT. You want to keep the QT water separate from the main tank.

Trying to get focused picture of your betta flaring with your cellphone is going to be tough. But I can't see much from the 1st picture because of the greenish background.

Finnex model is a really good filter, I think wrapping the spray bar with filter floss would work better than java moss to reduce the water disruption.

• One thing you may not have considered is the white sand is highly reflective & some bettas will get spooked by the amount of light and spazz out.
  • Your new tank looks a bit bright, the glare from the sand might be too much. Not sure if your betta will be able to adjust to that. Only time will tell.
  • From all the information I've gathered & what I've seen from my fish, they seem to prefer DARKER tea colored environments.
  • What kind of substrate did you have in the 5G tank?
  • How long did you leave the lights on every day in the 5G tank?

The 1tsp/gallon treatment you've used should be fine for now.
Substrate in the 5 gallon is Petco black gravel.

All the lights for all tanks are on 9am-1pm, off 1pm-5pm, and back on 5pm-9pm.

The light is a cheap 16.5" Beamworks LED, it doesn't look that bright in person.

I have been doing some reading and I think I'll be getting some Indian Almond Leaves which I'm sure he would like. I know he's getting old and possibly a little senile, I'm just trying to make sure he's comfortable in his "golden years."

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put him in the QT tank I set up with salt and the worst little bit of his fin came off when he swam by the filter intake pre filter. It's stuck on the sponge right now, going to be getting it out. I wish I had a microscope. The pump is just a stock one from a 5 gallon Aqueon bowfront, nothing major. I guess that's good in a way? Going to keep up the salt treatment with water changes since I think there is still some "fuzz" on his tail.

My poor baby:( I wish I knew what caused this.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this morning the "fuzz" appears to be gone and the edge where the damaged fin piece fell off is a pink color, looks like its growing.

I still don't see how this all came and went so quickly but I'll take it.

Going to keep an eye on him and keep treating in the small tank for a bit and then move him back to the 10. Gives me time to work on it some more I suppose. I'll probably have to pull his Nerite out and start dosing a little ammonia though so I don't lose the cycle.

Anyone with a microscope and an interest in science want his infected fin bit to study? :confused1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.