The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought it would go away with time. I rescued a betta from my friend who got it as a wedding gift (horrible people).

His fins were tattered from sitting in a vase of his own crap for an estimated 4 months. I couldn't stand it any more. He is now in a 10g heated plant grow-out tank. He didn't know how to swim at first and I thought it might be a lost cause. But he perked up, started eating his pellets, and dances around the tank quite happily.

Thing is, after about 2 months, no fin regrowth. I'm very worried. Water is clean, aerated, movement is very slow (just a small airstone). What can I do to let the fins grow back?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can you get a picture of him? It's possible he is a plakat, which have shorter fins. Most fins grow back over time, but sometimes if the damage is too great it won't ever be the same. Sounds like he's in great hands now and should be perfectly happy, even if handicapped!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried snapping a pic, but he kept darting back into the mini forest he is in. I may try again later.

The fins are too uneven to be a specific breed. The tail is basically non-existent, top fin hangs over like a cruel scarf, and the bottom ones just hang like uneven drapes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Aw, he's camera-shy. :) Must be self conscious about his poor fins! They may eventually grow back with more TLC, but there's nothing much more you can do besides have him in clean, warm water and feed him good food (Omega One or New Life Spectrum are much-loved in the betta community) It's also possible that there is some fin growth, but he is biting his fins or there is something in the tank shredding them (sharp sticks, filter intake, etc.)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I had great regrowth with extra clean water and API stress coat +. It's got aloe vera, which did the trick for me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Indian Almond leave tannins are also good, a product called "Attison's Betta Spa" is made of them and is great if you have somewhere to get it or just order the leaves off ebay .

Rising his temp to 80ish might also help with re-growth.

If his fins rotted all the way to his body or extremely close to his body the chances of normal length re-growth are slim but may show some inprovement in the months to come. Won't be extremely fast, it's 4 months of damage but should improve over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts