Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm asking because I'm debating between an XP3 or an XP2 with a K2 for added flow if I go with the XP2. The XP3 has 50GPH more flow(not much more) but it also has an extra media basket over the XP2. Meanwhile the XP2 is cheaper, and may provide sufficient mechanical filtration. hmm

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
So, it's a question of cost-effectiveness.
Using only canister filters for flow is not exactly the most cost-effective way to go.
It's funny how big of filters people use/recommend on this forum, or recommend 2xwhatever filter when one with a powerhead suffices.

Note that the K2 doesn't have much GPH gain over the K1 yet uses much more energy.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it's a question of cost-effectiveness.
Using only canister filters for flow is not exactly the most cost-effective way to go.
It's funny how big of filters people use/recommend on this forum, or recommend 2xwhatever filter when one with a powerhead suffices.

Note that the K2 doesn't have much GPH gain over the K1 yet uses much more energy.
Well it's a rimless tank, so I'm not doing a HOB, and I already have the K2 sitting around. I originally got it for my reef, but it looked too big for the 16 inch tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I put "other" because I don't think there IS a "right" answer- they're all important LOL

What size tank?

I'd probably go for the XP3 just b/c they're my fav filter; plenty of flow, great bio, mechanical, and plenty of room to customize the media however works best for you.

Follow this link and you can get a killer deal on a new XP3 from DrF&S (better than their normal price)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&prodid=6139&catid=113

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put "other" because I don't think there IS a "right" answer- they're all important LOL

What size tank?

I'd probably go for the XP3 just b/c they're my fav filter; plenty of flow, great bio, mechanical, and plenty of room to customize the media however works best for you.

Follow this link and you can get a killer deal on a new XP3 from DrF&S (better than their normal price)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&prodid=6139&catid=113
Yeah, I know, I did the code thing and it's REALLY tempting. Plus I can get it shipped for $0.99. (after $5 coupon) (I could get a brand new XP2 for $86.98 shipped!)
Thankfully that deal lasts until the 31st, so I should have birthday and Christmas money to pay for it.
It would go on a 48 gallon tank.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd def go with an XP3 for a 48gal tank.
Okay. Thanks for the tip :)
That's an extra $25. lol. Oh well, I'm sure I won't regret it. Do you think that I might need the K2? I guess I could just wait until the tank is set up and see for myself :hihi:
Thanks

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might once the plants all fill in, depends on your plants & hardscape.
You can see the hardscape in my grossly massive thread (link in my sig- might want to skip to one of the last pages) IDK how thick the plant mass I will have will be, or if I will go with many tall plants or not.
I remember buying a 2213 for my 20 gallon tank and wanting more, which made me upgrade to a 2217 (lol), so I guess I'll play it safe and get the XP3.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The poll options are far from exhaustive. Most canister filters offer decent levels of mechanical & biological filteration and I don't think there's a significant difference among different models.

Thus, the decision factors come down to ease-of-setup, ease of maintenance, reliability, quietness, cost, ruggedness, quality of parts, design, etc.

I couldn't care less about whether my Eheims provide better mechanical or biological filteration than other filters. I chose Eheim filters because of its reliability & quietness.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you got a rimless tank, you want all the hardware you can get OUt of the tank. I think you want all the flow you can get from a canister. In line reactor, etc.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
All of the above.

Go with the Xp 3. Should be more than enough for a 48G. I have an Xp1 on a twenty long and its great except for some end dead spots because of the length of the tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts