The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years it looks like we are moving out of our 100 year old house that is on pier and beam foundation so I finally get to go back to big tanks. While I have definitely enjoyed my small tanks I can't tell you how excited I am to actually have a substantial volume of water and some front to back depth to play with. Anyway...on to the question:

What would you guys use as filtration for a high tech 120 (4x2x2)? Would you guys go with 1 or 2 filters? I'm open to just about every vendor so fire away.

I've been looking at the Eheim 2028 and it looks like a good fit. Flow is at 277 GPH with a head pressure over 6' so it should have plenty for the CO2 reactor. I was thinking of adding a "Y" at the exit of the reactor and placing returns on either side of the tank with the intake in the center. Think this will work out or is the sizing of the Eheims a little generous?

One thing to keep in mind is that I tend to stock pretty heavily. I like the fish as much as the plants...

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a single Eheim 2128 on my 120. I love it because it also does a great job of keeping the temp stable. But I think most folks would consider it to be too little water movement, especially with the jungle I have in there. I've thought about getting a powerhead for supplemental flow, but not wanting to clutter up the tank or to spend more money, I haven't Fish load is pretty light, just a couple dozen platies, guppies (both mostly immature), and otos.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
For filtration I really like a filter that is rated at least 3X the water volume. But that's not enough water movement for most planted tanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May try two Filstar 3's (less than the price of one 2028) and a couple of reactors. I'm trying to avoid using two reactors though. Any ideas on how to get around using two reactors?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I just added a Fluval FX5 to my 120 after a connector failed on one of my ViaAqua cannisters. The tank is drilled for dual intake/output lines so I had to split the single, 1" lines of the FX5. One output line drives a CO2 reactor and the other a Hydor heater.

Even with the split lines and in-line components it still moves a heck of a lot of water compared to the two cannisters it replaced.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bharada - did you have the tank drilled by the manufacturer or DIY? Slick set-up either way and a beautiful tank.

distrbd - No, I haven't considered Ocean Clears products. I'd prefer not to have to deal with external pumps. Good idea though...

Rex - when you say 3X the water volume are talking about water volume via the pump flow rates (360 GPH turnover on the 120) or 3X volume for filter capacity (big enough for 360 gallons)?

One thing that concerns me with a lot of flow is my altums. They aren't to keen on high flow areas and they will be the focus of this tank. The two I have now in my 30 cube do everything they can to avoid the current that my 2213 puts out.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The FX5's are pretty reasonable value for thier flow, and not too much more than 2 XP3's. Or the Eheim Pro3's, if you dont mind spending more. They are suppose to have electronic flow control so you can set whatever flow you want, if it looks to fast just turn it down (electrically, not by choking the flow). And you can program it I think so that daytime the flow is less (for viewing) and when the lights go off it can turn up the flow. Some people get carried away with flow rates. 10X an hour isnt needed on a heavily planted tank. Maybe a tank with no plants, and messy fish that like fast flow rates. But for a heavily planting tank I agree 3X is sufficient, as long as you dont have dead spots.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Crazy loaches, I just started testing my FX5 and the flow rates aren't astounding, I'm running it in an 83 gallon custom tank and the movement is very calm, any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts