The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10g and just added a sponge filter with a penguin 550 powerhead running it. i plan on breeding in that tank and have a lot of plants in it. right now i have a hair algae problem but that should be besides the point i think. is the sponge filter too strong? not enough?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just read that the Penguin 550 runs 145 GPH. To me, that sounds kind of like it would be a miniature jacuzzi for a 10G.

I use a Penguin 100 Bio-Wheel filter on my 10G and it almost seems like too much flow even with an extra media bag in the filter. There is a lot of turbulence all the way to the substrate. This is understandable as the Penguin 100 is advertised as a 20G filter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i am not sure if its that powerhead but it does say 550 on it so that is what i assumed. i am regulating the flow and slowed it down as much as possible

·
Registered
151 Posts
For a 10 gallon breeder tank, a sponge is your best choice, but I'd suggest a HydroSponge 1, driven by an airpump (unless you have CO2 injection). It won't take up any more space than your powerhead/sponge, will provide a much gentler current, and will NOT suck up your fry when breeding. I've used them in sizes from 10 gallons to 75 gallons, always with good results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i have this from the lfs and i bought a whisper 20 air pump. sad thing is i did not buy more airline tubing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Elite filter you show should be much more than sufficient for a 10 gallon tank. On that type, you can clean sponges on alternate weeks, so your bacterial colonies are better preserved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts