The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fluval 405 in my 75g bow front tank. I have kept a fish only tank for a few years and the filter has worked fine. I plan to empty the tank out and re-make it into a planted tank. I've noticed that alot of people mention having 2 filters. Is this a must? The 405 has worked fine on its own. Besides, I would think that the plants themselves would act as a sort of filter. Sneaking a new light fixture and pressurized CO2 system past my wife is going to be hard enouph! Do I need to add another filter to that list?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really like running two filters on my bigger tanks. In addition to it proving a backup to the primary filter, it helps increase circulation. Heavily planted tanks definitely need more circulation as I'm learning.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Many people add one or more powerheads to get good circulation if the filter(s) can't supply enough.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, the 2nd one is for back-up and to help circulation, but is'nt a necesitiy. I have a couple of powerheads that I could use for circulation.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You want good circulation.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So, the 2nd one is for back-up and to help circulation, but is'nt a necesitiy. I have a couple of powerheads that I could use for circulation.
It may not be required unless you have a heavy bio-load. Some of my tanks have messy fish like plecos that can really gunk up the works. You may be able to get by with using the powerheads. Maybe you can try the one and add another later if needed.

If you didn't already have the powerheads I would think that buying a 2nd filter would be better than buying a powerhead or two (performance for the $).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that is the best option Bottom, I'll use the powerheads and see how it goes. I can always get a 2nd filter later. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts