The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I have 2 aquaclear 70s on my 47 gallon tank. There's always so much debris floating, and I alternate cleaning the filters every 10-14 days. And they are SO dirty each time! So clearly, my filtration isn't enough. I will be setting up a CO2 system next month, and I don't know if HOB filters are a bad idea. I'd like to keep 1 of the aquaclears for night time surface agitation (but will be on in the day). Is this a good idea?

As for an additional filter, I've had great experiences with Eheim classics. Which size would work well to complement the aqua clear?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey Amazonfish,

I run an aquaclear 70 and 50 on my 46 bow. One of the things I found to help was adding a second filter sponge instead of the chemical media, basically doubling your mechanical filtration.

I also use a 100 micron filter media that I cut to size (under the biological media), as well as a polishing sponge from a fluval clearance.

The polishing filter media only lasts about a day before you've got to take it out and clean it. It's not really a long term thing, just something to make the water look like air.

The micron filter however, tends to flow pretty well even when it gets clogged up. I usually change that once a week.

Like you however, even with the 4x sponges, and 2x micron filters....Those things have to get squeezed out in siphoned tank water about every other week. I've purchased an XP3 in the hopes it might help with maintenance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure what your plans are for diffusing the CO2, but I would highly suggest using your xp3 with inline CO2 as your sole filtration. I use an XP2 on my 40gal and it works great. For nighttime surface agitation I use an air pump. Works great.

For sure though, you will want to get rid of the HOB filters during the day, or you will lose all your CO2 to offgassing.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there's some confusion here. I don't have an xp3; it is crossbow who has an xp3. I'm planning on getting an Eheim classic, but I'd like to know which size is best for my 47 gallon tank. I'd also like to know whether I should keep both my HOBs, one of my HOBs, or none of them.

I don't know what my plans are for diffusing CO2. I posted a thread on diffusing methods, but I didn't get enough information. I still don't understand what my options are.

If you have an opinion about either of these issues, please help!
:help: :help: :help:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I actually bought the knock of Marineland SunSun filter from ebay. At 295 gph, it is a great deal and is doing an awesome job of polishing my water. I am very surprised at the quality of the filter itself. The intake and spray bar are a bit cheap, but more than do the job. For 45 bucks there is really few comparible options, and as far as I can tell, marineland parts work in it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Amazon,
What type of fish do you have? I think that will help people with their classic recommendations. I'd probably just put on a 2217 myself, but I've got goldfish, which are basically like floating cows which never stop eating or attacking your plants.

The reason I went with the XP3 vs the classic was the ease at accessing the sponges. I think classics are more suited towards heavy biological filtration, and less towards mechanical. The lack of baskets looks like it would be a pita to get and clean out all the sponges and filter floss. The reason everyone loves the classic is the same reason I don't! No baskets = maximum utilized space.

Classic Setup

Getting to that center coarse pad would be a total PITA. Please if any classic owners are reading, chime in! I don't have one!

XP3 Setup

Eheim Pro Setup

(In baskets)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm running an Eheim 2217 (alone) on my 46 bowfront. But that's also not a goldfish tank...

+1 I think a Rena XP2 might be a good choice for you in conjunction with an AC. Since you're looking for additional mechanical filtration I think the basket design would be a good advantage over an Eheim for ease of access to the mechanical media for cleaning.

I debated suggesting an XP3, but I think you may end up with too much flow for Orandas?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Laural,
Yes, but can't you adjust the flow entering the tank? The XP's do have adjustable flow if I'm not mistaken.

Also something to keep in mind, if you want to run anything inline with the canister filter, that flow will most likely be reduced, so having an upsized filter might be beneficial.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.