The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90g tank currently has a sump and I want to move it over to a canister filter. I currently have a 500gph return pump that feeds a Rex Grigg CO2 reactor and then splits into two returns.

Filters
I'm thinking about getting two Eheim 2217s, one for each side of the tank. Does that seem reasonable?

Heaters
Since I'll no longer have a sump for my heaters, I was thinking about getting two Hydor heaters, one for each canister.

CO2 diffusion
Since I'll now have two closed loops, my Rex Grigg reactor isn't going to work without making my CO2 distribution uneven. I'm thinking about getting two Atomic CO2 diffusers from Green Leaf Aquatics, one for each canister. Can I just split the CO2 line after the bubble counter?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 90g tank currently has a sump and I want to move it over to a canister filter. I currently have a 500gph return pump that feeds a Rex Grigg CO2 reactor and then splits into two returns.

Filters
I'm thinking about getting two Eheim 2217s, one for each side of the tank. Does that seem reasonable?
I also have a 90 gallon, I have a Fluval FX6 and also a Fluval 406

Heaters
Since I'll no longer have a sump for my heaters, I was thinking about getting two Hydor heaters, one for each canister.

I have a 300 watt hydor in-line heater, I live in upstate NY so we have very cold winters and the one heater does just fine!

CO2 diffusion
Since I'll now have two closed loops, my Rex Grigg reactor isn't going to work without making my CO2 distribution uneven. I'm thinking about getting two Atomic CO2 diffusers from Green Leaf Aquatics, one for each canister. Can I just split the CO2 line after the bubble counter?
One will be more than enough!

On my setup I have the FX6 on it's own. The 406 has everything else on it. So on the return I have the Atomic CO2 diffuser, then the Hydor heater to my UV sterilizer then to the tank. Flow is great and most of the CO2 is dissolved before it hits the tank! :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Can I just split the CO2 line after the bubble counter?
No. CO2 takes the path of least resistance, so while one atomic diffuser might work the other won't. You have to split the CO2 from the solenoid, with two needle valves and two bubble counters. That way each atomic diffuser will get enough working pressure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One will be more than enough!

On my setup I have the FX6 on it's own. The 406 has everything else on it. So on the return I have the Atomic CO2 diffuser, then the Hydor heater to my UV sterilizer then to the tank. Flow is great and most of the CO2 is dissolved before it hits the tank! :D
If I had two canister filters and the CO2 diffuser only on one of them, wouldn't I have higher CO2 on one side of my aquarium? My tank is 60" long.

With my current setup, I have 3 returns (right, middle, and left). My CO2 reactor is only the middle return. It's kinda hard to tell, but it seems like there are spots where the right/left returns hit the middle return and I get better growth in those spots. Might just be better flow? I'm looking forward to have more even flow the spray bars from two canister filters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.