The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I'll just pick up a ZooMed 501 and squeeze some filter juice from my Eheim 2215 into it...but then I got to thinking...should I just buy another Eheim? I know the 2215 is overkill for the shrimp/small fishes tank in terms of flow (unless I baffle it, of course...) but since it's so large the bio-filtration will be ridiculously nice for what I'm planning to stock it with. I plan to have a dual-light 24" 48W T5HO fixture, EI dosing, CO2 and stocking will be 20 Fire Red Cherry Shrimp (breeding will occur, lol), 5 Pygmy Corys, 3-5 Otos (algae pending...might just let the shrimp handle it) and 10 or so Neon Tetras or similarly sized fishes and also probably a handful of trumpet snails. Thoughts on filtration? I'd rather just go ahead and spend the extra bit if I need to rather than waste the money on a filter that won't get the job done and then have to upgrade later. Thanks as always, folks. :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somehow I figured. At least I only have to order one type of filter pads...and more Purigen, lol....and lily pipes and a heater.... :icon_roll Actually, since the other tank is going to be low-tech (it's literally running off of one T8 fixture hood from PetsMart, Paintball CO2 [which will be moved to the new tank] and dosing of Flourish each weekly 30% WC), would it be alright to just move the 2215 to the new tank and just run the other one off a HOB or the ZooMed 501 that I suggested? Hmm. Trying to stay at least a little budget friendly here. Not that it'll kill me, but still.

Always go as big as you can afford. I would get a 2215 for that tank. I have a 2217 on an ADA 60-p which is only 17g. With the 2213/15/17 you can always adjust the flow with the quick disconnects.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would advise against the ZM 501 for a tank that large. I have one on a 4g and within a couple of weeks I have to tear down and clean completely because it gets to the point the flow drops down to next to nothing. It decreases significantly over time.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because you ate obviously an informed consumer and with the products you just purchased it is most certainly a case the old saying "you get what you pay for...." but in a very good way. ;)
Haha, it's true. I can't really say anything bad at all about any of the products I just purchased (note "another" being used) since I currently own all of them and am very satisfied. I swear Purigen is a gift from the aquarium gods though, since it keeps my tank water pristine even with a piece of grape vine driftwood releasing tannins worse than a bag of tea. The heater and the filter are self explanatory as well...quality is next to none.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.