The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, about two weeks ago I upgraded from a 29gal to a brand new 40b (thank you petco $1/gal sale). On my 29 I had a Penguin 200b and it kept the tank pristine. That same 200b is now on my 40b, but it just doesn't seem to be able to handle it. I've thoroughly cleaned the filter, even popped in some new filter floss, but my tank water is cloudy.
I've looked at canister filters, but I just can't justify that kind of cost. So I'm looking at either a second 200b, having one on each side of the tank, or one 350b.
Opinions/Suggestions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Petsmart has the 200b for around 35 and the 350b is around 50. These are there online prices, not sure what in-store is like.
I have a 40B from petco as well and the thing is a pain in the ass to find fitted parts for (stand & top being notable pains in my case) However, I have a Penn-Plax Cascade 100 running that worked fine on its own, but I also have a Bio-Wheel 100 working so I can set up my quarantine tank at any time.

However, the fiter you are using right now should work just fine for your 40 gallon tank. Did you recently make any changes to the substrate that would cause the water to cloud up?

A water change and time usually fixes any cloudiness for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't really done anything to bring on the cloudiness. I used the same gravel from the 29, had the usual startup cloudiness, it just never went away though. I've already done two or three water changes and haven't noticed any change.
As far as stands and tops, well I built my own stand. Definitely recommend doing that. Easy to do and cheap too. And I go topless so that isn't really a problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've looked at the off brands but not sure how much I trust their reliability. After reading treasy's post, I looked up Penn-Plax and their cascade 700 is looking good. Anyone happen to know how these are?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I looked up Penn-Plax and their cascade 700 is looking good. Anyone happen to know how these are?
I love my cascade 1000's (2) but I wish I would have know about the perfect sun sun before I bought them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Started looking at what I believe is the Sunsun 302? It's rated for 264gph and is sold on ebay by easyforuse. Just got a couple questions.

1. Is this the seller all you Sunsun pimps are ordering from?
2. Would this can be enough for a lightly planted and lightly stocked 40?
3. How sturdy/reliable are they?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
your water is probably cloudy bc its cycling. i would just wait that out. but i do strongly urge you to look more into a big canister filter, or 2 small ones. you can probably pick up 2 used 2215's fairly cheap.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i have a sunsun on my 40b
i actually have 2 of them, i have had a few problems with them (of course they are cheap) I have issues with air leaking into the filter (doesn't stop me from using it, but does indicate a problem that could get worst), i have issues with baskets getting stuck,
and issues with the intake/output latch not staying sealed during filter maintnance and dripping water when closed, eheim classics are way easier to use/maintain and are more efficient IMHO

i would get a HOB filter if you didn't mind having one but the sunsun does do a 40 dollar job

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have a sunsun on my 40b
i actually have 2 of them, i have had a few problems with them (of course they are cheap) I have issues with air leaking into the filter (doesn't stop me from using it, but does indicate a problem that could get worst), i have issues with baskets getting stuck,
and issues with the intake/output latch not staying sealed during filter maintnance and dripping water when closed, eheim classics are way easier to use/maintain and are more efficient IMHO

i would get a HOB filter if you didn't mind having one but the sunsun does do a 40 dollar job
That's why I'm kind of wary about purchasing one of these knock-offs. I'd love an eheim, but at $150 for the 2217, I just can't see myself shelling out for that.
I'm looking at a couple used canister on ebay, so we'll see how that goes. But right now, I'm leaning towards another Penguin h.o.b.
Whats the general consensus on my original question?

Buy another 200b rated at 200gph or buy a 350b rated at 350gph?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.