The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is getting his children a 46 gallon bowfront for the holidays. (I suspect this is like Homer buying Marge a bowling ball for her birthday.)

The tank will be flush against the wall, and he doesn't want to custom cut the hood, so I don't think a HOB will work out. He is weighing the magnum against a canister filter.

Any-hoo, he does not want any plants. He plans on filling his tank to the max in terms of bio-load. What filter do you guys recommend?

(He's also my employer so it has to be a good recommendation...i.e. not flooding his house.)

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I would say an Eheim Classic 2217. He might like the Eheim Pro II 2026 better being he is an beginner and may appreciate the baskets.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His question is as follows:

The XP series is rated as follows (gallon capacity/GPH):

XP1 - 45/250
XP2 - 75/300
XP3 - 175/350

Even the XP1 will get much more than 3 times the tank capacity filtered over the course of an hour, so is the extra power of a larger filter necessary? If so, why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
all filter companies over rate their filters and rena has done this to a extreme. the xp3 motor can pump a max of 350 gallons per hour. once you factor in media and going though the tubes it drops to 175 gallons per hour. never tested this but this is what they claim. once it starts to get dirty the flow drops even more. if someone wants to "max" out the bio load having a lot of area for media will help a lot too.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've run XP3s and 2217s on my own 46gal. If he's stocking his tank heavily with Africans, the extra flow and media won't be wasted effort by any means.

If he wants to go with a smaller filter he's very likely to need powerheads to address dead spots. He may need them even with one of the bigger filters, depending on his hardscape.

If he wants to do 50% water changes every other day and a really good job washing the gravel, he can skip a filter all together.

Just depends on how he wants to set it up, and how much maintenance he wants to have over the long run.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Xp3 or Eheim Pros. Quick disconnects and media baskets make maintenance easy. He'll appreciate the elegant solution. If the tank is in a location where noise will be an issue, such as near the family room TV, you many wan tto recommend the Eheim. Some XP3s are quite, some like mine are not as quiet as an Eheim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.