The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering buying a new filter.. wanted to get some opinions. I'm running an Eheim 2211 on a planted 60P. Just using the basic spray bar for now. I think it is probably enough filtration.. but the odd line sizes make it a bear to upgrade and accessorize some stuff. I'm running a CO2 reactor on the intake.. which I don't love.. but it's near impossible to find one for the output line size on that filter. And I would like to make the switch to lilly pipes.. but again.. the odd line sizes make it a nightmare. And ideally I would like to do inline heating. And the filtration is on the low end to boot.

So with all of that in mind.. I'm thinking of upgrading.. though it kills me to replace a perfectly functional filter.

The obvious choices are the 2213 and the 2215. Thinking about a reactor and a heater.. is the 2213 enough?

Also.. any other filters I should be thinking about? (The UNS Delta 60 is intriguing..)

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oase Filtosmart thermo.

·
Super Moderator
16,093 Posts
2213 on a 17-gallon tank? It's definitely enough - especially if a 2211 has been enough for you so far. I've had one on a 33-gallon long since about 2012 and it's a solid workhorse. Also using it with a DIY spray bar that runs the length of the tank.

On your system, the addition of an in-line heater and CO2 reactor would probably be a good thing because they'll slow things down slightly. 2213 is a great option for use with lily pipes.

For longevity and affordable parts, Eheim is my favorite on the canister front. But Oase have some filters with built-in heaters that may appeal to you. They're slightly more expensive than Eheim units but when you factor in the cost of a heater, it might make more sense. Would argue that the UNS filters aren't worth your consideration because you already know what it's like to use a good filter. They're pretty but build quality just isn't there when compared to Eheim. I've been disappointed with literally every piece of non-tank UNS equipment I've used when compared to other items on the market. Filters are overpriced by 2x at least. I've been more impressed with cheap SunSun filters from fleabay. Tanks from UNS, on the other hand, are great.

But about the 2211... why not keep it as a backup? Or start another tank? It'd work great on a nice 5-20gal tank. Maybe a low tech shrimp tank? Surely we can peer pressure you into setting up another tank. :cool:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Oase has a feature no one else has. It's a pre-filter you can remove easily apart form the rest of the filter and clean that. Makes servicing a lot easier. The problem with OASE is they are VERY expensive compared to other filters if you go by their gallons per hour and compare apples to apples. They are a good option if you have the money.

Another option and my personal favorite now and probably forever, are the stainless steel fzone filters. They require some work on your part because you need to buy a pump, attach it, and decide how you want to fill them. But... its a stainless steel cylinder that looks awesome and will last till the heatdeath of the universe. If the pump breaks, you just replace the pump. The canister itself is good forever. I am running the small one on my newt tank right now. Its only been on for a few weeks but I'm over the moon with it. It's the quietest canister filter I've ever heard of or seen. My oase 100 thermo is really quiet, but this fzone is even quieter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
OASE Biomaster 850. I have a 75 gallon tank, and that's exactly what I would have gotten, had I not found a perfectly functional and FREE Fluval FX6.

OASE Biomaster 850. Absolute favorite filter, hands down. Thermo version is OK, but I run cool water tanks in a subtropical climate, so I just didn't need it.

EDIT: I did not see that this is a 60P, which I believe is about 17 gallons. I'd still go with OASE, but much smaller outflow :D

Another option and my personal favorite now and probably forever, are the stainless steel fzone filters. They require some work on your part because you need to buy a pump, attach it, and decide how you want to fill them.
GLA also has options for this type of filter, with much better motors. They are also included with the price. They are still more expensive than the FZONE, but are closer to ADA quality - and did I mention better motors.

If you're gonna spend the money for good filtration, I absolutely love the Aquatic Arts FilterPlus bio media. Great stuff. I'm running it now, and like it better than ceramic, to be sure. (and it doesn't break down like some options) In my filters, I run standard foam and the AA FilterPlus, and nothing else. (use a sponge prefilter, if you don't mind the appearance, and it reaps rewards)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
GLA also has options for this type of filter, with much better motors. They are also included with the price. They are still more expensive than the FZONE, but are closer to ADA quality - and did I mention better motors.

If you're gonna spend the money for good filtration, I absolutely love the Aquatic Arts FilterPlus bio media. Great stuff. I'm running it now, and like it better than ceramic, to be sure. (and it doesn't break down like some options) In my filters, I run standard foam and the AA FilterPlus, and nothing else. (use a sponge prefilter, if you don't mind the appearance, and it reaps rewards)
They honestly look identical to the fzone in every way except the pump mounts. It would not surprise me to learn they both come from the same factory. Why do you say they are better quality?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Much better motors. I didn't buy the FZone, cause I didn't trust their motors. As far as looking like the FZone, yeah, I suppose they do. But then again... they're both copies of the ADA jet filter. So I don't think it matters too much. I don't have any skin in the the FZone/GLA game. Do you?

I just think that the GLA has much better motors.
I mean, I own the fzone pump. It is super quiet, moves water, goes from 0 to 100 on the speed control. The speed control happens to look almost identical to the gla version...... Having never laid hands on the gla version I don't know if it's better, worse, or the exact same with a rebranding (this latter happens all the time in this hobby). I was curious if you knew something I didn't.

I didn't know gla offered this style but I am encouraged that they do. I hope other makers offer their own take on it. BUT I strongly suspect that some factory in China is turning these out and fzone and gla are buying both the pumps and canisters from them with minor branding and mount differences thrown in. Because, the pumps also look identical.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I mean, I own the fzone pump. It is super quiet, moves water, goes from 0 to 100 on the speed control. The speed control happens to look almost identical to the gla version...... Having never laid hands on the gla version I don't know if it's better, worse, or the exact same with a rebranding (this latter happens all the time in this hobby). I was curious if you knew something I didn't.

I didn't know gla offered this style but I am encouraged that they do. I hope other makers offer their own take on it. BUT I strongly suspect that some factory in China is turning these out and fzone and gla are buying both the pumps and canisters from them with minor branding and mount differences thrown in. Because, the pumps also look identical.
I'm not knocking your choice. Just that I know what I'd choose. No matter how old, or financially well established I become, I'm still too frugal for the original ADA. And they're all pretty much the same deal. At the point that you make a choice for what's basically the same thing, I'd argue that you're hedging your bet on what is value for money. If your FZone filter falls apart in 2 years, is it a better value than the GLA, that falls apart in 3 years, for $150 more? Probably.

Let's leave this discussion on this point: If you want that style of filter, the hierarchy runs like this:

FZone: good
GLA: better
ADA: best

All that's left, is to choose the reasoning for why you'd pick good, better, or best.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm not knocking your choice. Just that I know what I'd choose. No matter how old, or financially well established I become, I'm still too frugal for the original ADA. And they're all pretty much the same deal. At the point that you make a choice for what's basically the same thing, I'd argue that you're hedging your bet on what is value for money. If your FZone filter falls apart in 2 years, is it a better value than the GLA, that falls apart in 3 years, for $150 more? Probably.

Let's leave this discussion on this point: If you want that style of filter, the hierarchy runs like this:

FZone: good
GLA: better
ADA: best

All that's left, is to choose the reasoning for why you'd pick good, better, or best.
Correct me if I am wrong but I could not find a GLA replacement o-ring for canister body lid, a o-ring for their pump motor, or an impeller. All these things will fail long before that sweet stainless steel will. The previous applies to the FZone as well.
It is known that china makes things for multiple clients that are identical in every way except for the color and or name. For an example I use the Hygger 24v 33w 1060GPH DC water pump. After a couple years I wanted to change up my plumbing situation and needed some replacement in/out pipe fittings. I had glued the originals to PVC pipes hard plumbing it all. Hygger does not offer them. However Current USA has their eFlux line of pumps that looks similar to the Hygger. Turns out the in/out fitting kit is an exact match. Also they offer a replacement impeller, which Hygger doesn't, and it is a perfect fit for the Hygger.
Without examining and testing both side by side it is impossible to speculate that one or the other is better or worse. Fact of the matter neither offers any replacement parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I could not find a GLA replacement o-ring for canister body lid, a o-ring for their pump motor, or an impeller.
I can't, because I haven't had a need with my GLA stuff. I don't doubt that you can't get those things right now. My point was, that I have more faith in being able to find those things from GLA in the future, vs FZone. Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong.

It is known that china makes things for multiple clients that are identical in every way except for the color and or name.
Of course that's true. The scary part, is they will also "de-spec" the identical looking items in functional ways, to meet a price point. It can be absolutely undetectable to the consumer from an external glance.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Though I don't use this anymore, I loved my Eheim 2213 way back in the day. Never failed me and quick disconnects were legit.

·
Super Moderator
16,093 Posts
We won't remove another vendor review without a lengthy suspension. Final warning for all.

You can review products, however, but you have to be constructive. No childish rants that belong on social media instead of a discussion forum focused on being helpful.

On a personal note: Some of y'all trying to pop off about equipment and manufacturers aren't doing yourselves any favors. Especially if you're new to the hobby and have recently written about your inexperience.

·
Super Moderator
16,093 Posts
Now that my moderator hat has been taken off:

Fzone and GLA filters are the same OEM equipment you can buy from a few different sources on Aliexpress. Just rebranded. They aren't individually made in special factories. One isn't a knock-off of the other. They're essentially the same thing, as a couple people here have caught on to. They're definitely ADA knock-offs or are meant to look similar enough. Even the pumps of the Fzone and GLA are the same in some cases - seriously. Just depends upon the batch you get. I have pretty much every filter from both resellers either from purchase or review units, which I give away here on the forum on occasion. Also have some Aliexpress units. Sometimes the same filter with the same model from the same reseller can be different depending upon batch. Because they're just rebranded stuff from China. They're all fine, in my opinion, but let's not overhype what they are or what they do. I can't imagine paying the absurd prices for either when there are better established brands at cheaper prices available.

I've also run ADA filters since they hit the market with US plugs and in every instance? Eheim has been better. Pumps don't burn out, they have actual warranties, replacement parts are affordable. On two of my ADA filters I've experienced rust, which is wild for the price point. I can't even go as far as to say they're better than what you can buy from GLA, Fzone or other sellers. They're fine, I guess, but nothing special.

If replacement parts are important? Or you don't want to pay absurd markup? Eheim or Aquaclear are the way to go. Even new or second-hand Fluval are great options. Shiny, stainless steel looks way more cool for sure. Especially if Instagram hype is important. But most of us hide our filters from view.

That Aquatic Arts filter media? It's pumice you can buy in bulk on fleabay or Amazon for pennies on the dollar. Comes in various sizes and grades. There are a few threads here on the forum about it - even comparisons to Seachem Matrix. So definitely check those out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If brand name isn’t important to you, and the seal/o-ring on the FZone is good enough, why not buy the one that meets your needs (basically inlet/outlet size) and get a good DC return pump to run it? It’s literally a steel cylinder that houses media. Put a bunch of Poret 20ppi in it and let it run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know you could replace the 9/12 with 12/16 on the outflow where the disconnects meet, right?
I was trying to figure this out... are all the quick disconnects on the sides that screw together the same size? Can I just buy a larger size disconnect and hook it into the smaller one?

What kind of effect will that have on flow rates and pressures? Marginal or significant?

Thank for all the thoughtful replies... all my equipment lives in a cabinet... so the cool looking factor doesn't mean much to me.

Sounds like a 2213 or maybe swapping into a bigger outflow valve on my 2211 are my best options. The Oase Biomaster Thermo looks cool.. but finding one the right size in stock seems a challenge right now.

Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts