The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gallon hex that I would like to set back up. While cleaning it up earlier today, I found that the filter no longer works. I don't know what happened to it, since it worked fine a couple of months ago when I took down the tank.

A replacement pump assembly is $11 at petmountain plus another $7 for shipping. Should I get this one, or should I try some other type of filter. A different filter, like a HOB, would require modifying the hood, or removing the hood and using a different light. That might not be a bad thing, though, since this tank is a pita to get into. The tank right now has a 13 watt mini spiral cfl light. If I got a new filter, I would probably use a desk lamp to light it.

I plan to plant the tank and put my betta back in it. It used to be his home, before I kicked him out to try my hand at shrimp (that failed, so now he gets his home back).

What would you do? Buy the replacement filter assembly, or modify the hood to use a different filter, or just remove the hood entirely and use a lamp and HOB filter?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the little Marineland 5 gallon hex. It is approx 12 inches tall to the top of the actual tank and about 10-11 inches across. I plan on it being low tech, no dosing other than excel.

I went ahead and set it up without the filter for now. It looks pretty bare, since I just planted it with plants that I stole from my 29 gallon. The initial plant I tried to use (because I had way more of it) kept floating, so I went with this smaller leaved stem plant since it stayed put.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't find an under gravel filter to fit this tank. My options are replace the filter assemble and keep it stock, buy an HOB and either modify the hood or remove it and use a desk lamp for light, or buy a mini canister filter and either modify the hood or remove it. The hood right now is using a 13 watt daylight mini cfl, instead of the stock style tube bulb. It has been enough to grow plants the last time this tank was set up, before I neglected it and then tore it down.

Replacing the stock filter assembly would be cheapest. Using an HOB or mini canister could be interesting, though. Especially if I were to remove the hood and use a desk lamp. An open top look could look nice, and might even make an interesting riparium style tank.

What would you do with it? Easy, cheap way that works... or something that may be neater if you do it right, but might cost a little more...

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You could use a sponge filter. I have a single betta in a 5 gallon and I use the Hydor Elite mini internal filter - I LOVE that little thing! Works great and it's small. But it's rated for 3g so if you have any kind of real bio load in the tank it probably wouldn't be the best choice. But for a light bio load like a betta it's perfect. Oh and the flow is adjustable (both intenisty and direction) which the betta appreciates. I use the same filter in my 2.5g tank. Can't say enough good things about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.