The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks, i have a 36-gal quarter-round tank with some Red Cherry Shrimp, 3 Red Claw Shrimp and a bunch of Malaysian Trumpet Snails..

i also run a Fluval 305.

what do you guys put over the intake to prevent shrimp from getting sucked in? i currently have a round piece of sponge with a hole in the middle that slips over the tube that i scavenged from my Aqua Clear 30 HOB from my previous tank.

the sponge is a little beat up, so i think it's time to start looking for an alternative before it truly disintegrates.

any ideas?

after moving everyone over to the 36g a month or so ago, a few of my RCS are now carrying eggs. I'd hate to lose them to the filter.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well there's two options really, I use fluval prefilter sponge that you should be able to pickup from a local LFS or even petsmart/petco. Otherwise there are stainless steel prefilters that you can get online, like at theshrimplab or other places around, can also make one if you can find the materials and are handy at DIY. ^^

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The ATI Filter-Max pre-filters work pretty well. Can go a long time between being cleaned and they pretty easily fit most cylindrical intake tubes with various adapters that are included.

They don't look as good as the stainless steel ones though. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.