The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a question similar to this once before but I need to clarify the answer. I have a 75g tank with a Fluval 405 canister filter and I plan on splitting the return into two and running both returns to 2, 20"L x 5/8" wide clear acrylic pipes. These pipes will be placed in the 2 rear corners of the tank with 1/2" holes drilled every inch, or so, down the length, on 2 sides. Basically creating 2 spray bars to return filtered water and help circulation.
Now, I think the Fluval's 340gph could handle being split into 2 but I also planned on adding a DIY, PVC CO2 reactor to the return line (prior to the split). I know this is going to reduce the flow rate so my question is, should I add a pump to ensure the water gets to the spary bars, with enouph force to do what I want it to do?
Also, I have a Hydor 300w inline heater that I originally wanted to hook up to the return line as well, but I think that might be alittle too much. So, can I put an inline heater on the filter intake line? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have 404 with an inline reactor on a 75 which discharges through an approximately 36" spraybar. The reactor causes a considerable decrease in flow so that it's less than that of the 304 I also have on the tank. I would think splitting the line, along with 1/2" holes in the spraybars would decrease the velocity of water exiting the spraybars so much that you have very little water movement in the tank. You might think about not splitting the line and just making one long spraybar with smaller holes.

You can run a pump after the canister to boost flow but it I'd not run a 600gph pump for concern it would pull more water than the canister can keep up with. I ran a 350gph needlewheel pump for a while and it did well and there was an obvious increase in output when it was on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have 404 with an inline reactor on a 75 which discharges through an approximately 36" spraybar. The reactor causes a considerable decrease in flow so that it's less than that of the 304 I also have on the tank. I would think splitting the line, along with 1/2" holes in the spraybars would decrease the velocity of water exiting the spraybars so much that you have very little water movement in the tank. You might think about not splitting the line and just making one long spraybar with smaller holes.

You can run a pump after the canister to boost flow but it I'd not run a 600gph pump for concern it would pull more water than the canister can keep up with. I ran a 350gph needlewheel pump for a while and it did well and there was an obvious increase in output when it was on.
I agree and would add when you do make the spray bar go really small on the holes at first, like 1/8" or smaller. The reason is flow and pressure will be greatly reduced by splitting. The smaller the hole the more velocity, because of the increased pressure, will circulate the water better. Plus its real easy to drill out the holes larger if you need to but impossible to reduce them after they are drilled. I speak from experience. Go way small on the hole size trust me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I split the return on an Eheim 2213 so that I could have two separate spraybars, and found that there wasn't enough flow to operate two spraybars with any force. Too many holes allowing water to run out prevented any significant pressure from being attained.
So, I took a piece of the 12/16 tubing intended to connect the spraybars, long enough to cover roughly half of the holes on the spraybars, leaving the rest uncovered.
I split the tubing lengthwise, and slipped it over the spraybars, covering the holes on each bar. You can cover the holes near the end, or near the center, as you choose.
By covering up some of the holes with the split tubing, the remaining holes flowed water as energetically as when I was using a single spraybar.
I ran the filter this way for years, and since the "split" tubing was the same brand as the tubing connecting the spraybars and filter, it looked "factory", actually hard to notice anything out of the ordinary had been done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts