The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filter redomendations for nano tanks?

5108 12
I want to get either a 7 gallon or more likely a 4 gallon cube in the semi-near future. I'd like to find a filter (hob or canister) that will work for these small tanks (4 or 7 gallon) and have adjustable/very gentle outflow (thinking of getting a small fish that is sensitive to strong currents). I've look at azoo 60 but its rated for a 3 gallon tank, the next smallest I could find was aquaclear for 10-20 gallon tanks but I think its flow is stronger than I want, its also big enough it'd be rather unsightly on the smaller of the cubes. My only canister filter experience is with a large one for my "55" gallon tank so I don't know of any good ones for a nano.
Please give suggestions or share personal experiences with nano filters, thank you.

edit: I do not want an internal tank filter (completely in the tank) since its a small tank i want that space for plants and swim room.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a zoomed501 on a 5 gallon Beta tank and have been pleased with the performance so far. Granted I've only had it for about a month. It takes a couple days for it to purge the air but after that it's really quiet. It seemed a little too strong at first but a few days of buildup settled the flow rate to a comfortable level. It does not have an adjustable flow or quick disconnects however. All things considered it's a good balance for price and performance considering the small selection of canister filters this size.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I use a Red Sea Nano Filter on one of my 5 gallons and it seems to do the trick for me. I do have a sponge on the intake to make it more shrimp safe, and it's a gentle current. Don't know if it would be too strong for you without the sponge...

If you don't find a HOB or canister you like, on my other 5 gallon I use a Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter and really don't find it too obtrusive:

and it has adjustable flow...

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a zoomed501 on a 5 gallon Beta tank and have been pleased with the performance so far. Granted I've only had it for about a month. It takes a couple days for it to purge the air but after that it's really quiet. It seemed a little too strong at first but a few days of buildup settled the flow rate to a comfortable level. It does not have an adjustable flow or quick disconnects however. All things considered it's a good balance for price and performance considering the small selection of canister filters this size.
Never considered looking at a "turtle" filter. How long are the intake/outake tubes for that?

I use a Red Sea Nano Filter on one of my 5 gallons and it seems to do the trick for me. I do have a sponge on the intake to make it more shrimp safe, and it's a gentle current. Don't know if it would be too strong for you without the sponge...

If you don't find a HOB or canister you like, on my other 5 gallon I use a Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter and really don't find it too obtrusive:

and it has adjustable flow...
So the small thing on the far left of the tank is the filter (and the other long one is the heater)? That's not too bad for a size, whats the rough dimensions?

Thank you both for the input

·
Registered
824 Posts
The tubes on the ZooMed are plastic so you can cut them to length. If you want less flow you can make the holes in the spray bar bigger or make more of them. I personally don't use the spray bar.

The Hagen elite mini is going to be way too small for a 4 gallon. It has about 2 square inches of sponge in it and that's it.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tubes on the ZooMed are plastic so you can cut them to length. If you want less flow you can make the holes in the spray bar bigger or make more of them. I personally don't use the spray bar.

The Hagen elite mini is going to be way too small for a 4 gallon. It has about 2 square inches of sponge in it and that's it.
I wanted to know the tubes full length to see if its possible to set it on the floor below the tank instead of on the table next to it (not a lot of space for that option). i didn't see details on their length on the amazon page for it, guess I'll try digging around a bit more to find the info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What creekbottom said. In fact the filter's instructions say it should be operated at the same level as the aquarium. Its footprint is small enough to fit behind my 5 gallon if you have room. I think you can even order a specially made mount so you can hang it on the back of your tank. Depends what size tank you get.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have 2x zoomed 501's i like they mini canisters as its less stuff cluttering the tank.
ones on a 5G other on a 6G.. but as stated above it needs to be on the same surface as the tank.. (mine are against the wall behind the tank on a dresser) if its on the floor you will need more power to push all that head pressure

·
Registered
761 Posts
So the small thing on the far left of the tank is the filter (and the other long one is the heater)? That's not too bad for a size, whats the rough dimensions?
Correct. About 2" x 1" x 3.5"

Depends on the bioload...

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I might try the zoo med nano 501 if i get the 7 gallon, or stick with the azoo if I get the 4 gallon (will be heavily planted so I think that will compensate for the weaker filter since there would only be 1 small fish)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.