The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that its best use a canister filter for planted tanks. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible so what is the opinion on these 2 filters for a 4 foot 120 gallon

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp17290/si1382183/cl0/marinelandmagnum350filter

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp17290/si1382699/cl0/pennplaxcascade1200canisterfilter

I do have a couple hob filters with each one rated to 100 gallon tanks so I could use these if canisters are not needed.

Thanks Scott

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
While canister filters are the best solution for planted tanks, HOB filters can also work.

HOB filters are in general not used because they give more surface agitation, which is disadvantageous, since we are injecting CO2. The extra surface agitation simply means that you would have to inject more CO2 than you would if you had a canister filter.

If you are going with a canister filter, you will likely need 2 for a tank that is as big as yours.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I should have said that I dont plan on useing CO2. I was planning on about 216 watts of T-5 lighting and just keeping swords and some vals. I also plan on a couple of small PH's near the bottom to help keep things suspended for the filter to take out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I am getting closer to setting up I have the tank full and running 3 filters to make sure they all work.
#1 Magnum 350
#2 AC 110
#3 AC 50
I plan on running 2 of these but not sure what 2. I will be running 4 T-5's but 2 of them will be Blue Tubes for about 10 hours and 2 will be 6.5 K's that I was planning on running for 5 hours so my question is will this be too much light if so I can go down to 3 or even 2 tubes and also what 2 filters should I run I know what I would like to run but I want to here your opinions. I will also be running 2 small PH's near the bottom to keep things suspended for the filters to take out, I forgot 1 thing I wont be running CO2.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
This is a recipe for disaster if you won't be injecting CO2. The algae that will inevitably take over your tank will thank you for it.

Go with a 2-bulb fixture, and suspend high enough over your tank to lessen the intensity. Or, just go with normal output T5 instead of high output.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well then maybe I will have to break out my old Supreme Aqua King because those 3 I listed is what I have and was hopeing I could get away with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You people are making me feel like a complete rookie :confused: LOL even though I have been keeping fish for 35+ years but never a planted tank

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
LOL It is a bit of its own thing, isn't it? :biggrin:

You could get away with just the filtration provided by the other filters, but you'll need more flow. Another option would be to use the smaller filters you already have, but boost the flow with powerheads.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL It is a bit of its own thing, isn't it? :biggrin:

You could get away with just the filtration provided by the other filters, but you'll need more flow. Another option would be to use the smaller filters you already have, but boost the flow with powerheads.
Thats the plan I have 2 PH's each rated at 170 GPH that I planned on putting in so an additional 340 GPH and if thats not enough I can get out PH's that can get me up to about 2400 GPH and just about everything in between. I prefer to have better flow to make it easier for the filters to take everything out and that will make it much easier when I do WC's as in a less work grave vacuming I hope. I still have most of my equipment from my Reef setup.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Once plants are established most people don't vacuum their substrate. You're going to be surprised at the amount of debris a planted tank produces, though, that's why people go so heavy on their filtration.

Putting some sponge prefilters on the powerheads could help boost your mechanical filtration, too.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You want flexibility should your needs change and money spent on a filter that won't work at some point is money wasted. Look to the auction and list sites to find a quality canister like an Eheim, or Rena Filstar used. You may find one (especially a Rena) for the price of a new HOB.

Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already have the filters listed from other tanks that I have had in the past and thats why I would like to use them because I already have them. I keep thinking of different ways of doing things because I have alot of equipment from earlier reef tanks and FW tanks and there isnt any reason to buy anything if I already have things that will work. What about 220 watts of PC lighting, I would really like to have dawn, midday and dusk lighting. I appologize for all the questions but like I said just trying to use what I already have.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That PC fixture would probably work. You wouldn't get much light down at the substrate level on such a deep tank, but you could stick with low light plants and probably work it out.

What about running all 3 of the filters you listed since you already have them?

Nothing wrong with using equipment you've already got!! :proud:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I will try the lower light setup and run all my filters but I will keep the plastic ready incase it doesnt work out, god I hate having to buy more equipment. I have like four storage totes full of equipment and a storage cabinet full.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 6.7k, 10k and some 50/50 bulbs, I have 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon and a 29 gallon tanks along with air pumps and sponge filters for raising angels, UG filter plates, more smaller power filters, Ice Cap ballasts, WH ballasts, T-5 and T-12 end caps, T-5 reflectors, several submersible pumps, external pumps, standard PH's, Koralia PH's, Pea Stone, fake plants :icon_frow , plastic tops, glass tops, stands and MH setup oh and a Octopus 200 recirculating skimmer and a 4 foot 65 gallon with 50 gallon sump. I think I have more than I thought oh and I have my 20 long for when I go to frag swaps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have UV Sterilizer, 50lbs of Calcium, 19 lbs of mag a python, spare timers, power srtips a couple 100 fish bags a couple bags of frag plugs a tub of carbon and phosban.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.