The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.. I hope this isn't posted a million times.. and that Im in the right place.

I have a Filstar XP L (brand new).. Im concerned that it's too noisy and not working properly. The canister will not stay "full" even after burping it. the water still receeds about an inch or so from the lid while running. I assume it should stay full while in operation and thus run quieter.. (any ideas?)

Brand new set up.. no fish yet..just getting tank up and running

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This diaper can't be dirty yet.. she's too new! The only thing Im filtering right now is the cloud out of the water from the sand lol..

The Filstar has a plastic screw top on the intake tube.. you pour water in it to prime the filter.. I had it screwed down as tight as it would go so I thought I was good there.

I just threw some plumbing tape around the threads poured water in again and screwed the top down.. and now (for at least the past few mins..) it seems to be running pretty good..

If that is all it took to fix the problem.. then all I can say is /Facepalm

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem with my Filstar(s) initially also. The plumbers tape around the fill port works well to seal the cap and will help with the problem.

Some other Filstar tips ...
Keep the tubing straight as possible and no kinks.
Make sure your intake tube segments are firmly attached and underwater.
Make sure your return (nozzle, spout, spraybar, etc. ..) does not restrict the flow. Many find larger spraybar holes (or return nozzle outlets) solve the air build up issue in the canister.
Over stuffing the media baskets may cause air build up also.
Give the filter some time to "break in". I've noticed that air issues pretty much fade away after a few weeks of operating for whatever reasons.
Burp the filter with the power off for a few cycles after filling. Put the towel down first. :)

Have patience, they are great filters with strong flow and media capacity.

·
Registered
42 Posts
By burping it are you doing it by cutting off the power to the filter by unplugging it and unclipping one of the corners while you have a towel to catch the water that comes out?

I have an XP4 and an XP3 and on my XP3 I had this same issue for about 24 hours. I kept turning it off and removing one of the corners, I tried removing the motor housing and resealing it and removing the Quick disconnect and putting it back. I also made sure I didn't have any kinks in the intake, that it was as straight up and down as possible without being tight or putting pressure on the quick disconnects. I also made sure the cap was really tight and put that white plumbers tape stuff around the threads of wherw the intake primer cap thing screws on to ensure a good seal. I also shook the filter while it was on for a bit. I also applied vaseline to all the seals to be sure because it was an oldstock new xp3 still in the box with the spray bar and regulator valve and what not. Use vaseline at your own risk, I for one think it's fine but it isn't advised as it can actually break down rubber.

I scrolled up and noticed many of these things were already mentioned but just so you know I had this same exact issue at first with both my filters and I have no earthly idea what actually fixed the issue as I tried everything I could think and I was scratching my head trying to solve it on both of them. I believe the removing the diagnal clip while off did most of the work But I'm bot sure. I've only had this issue with the inital set up of these filters and never again, so just hang in there once you get past this stage it should be smooth sailing and I love the rena xp filters. Also there is a small black rubber cap under the motor housing piece kind of near the impellar cover area that ia used for air removal. It has a small hole in it thay allows it to automatically remove any air that ia built up in the canister. The air is discharged out of the output hose, and this can be tested by opening the cap and watching the air expell out of the output hose. (I've never done this as I don't know if it could mess anything up). But anyway my point was that it is a good idea to get a small paper clip and make sure that this whole is free from any debris, from time to time to make sure it isn't clogged.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the great replies.. and Paxx I agree so far.. the filter seems great.. I wanted it to work so bad I didn't want to have to return it..

I'll update you all on my Filter saga..

I thought I solved the problem with the thread tape on the intake tube..but that was a temporary fix.. it solved the gurgling..but I still found a water line approx 1in below the lid of the canister.. and I could hear water trickling and it was loud..

I was about ready to throw in the towel.. even went to another fish store and almost picked up a Marineland canister so I could pack up the Filstar and return it.. then I thought about trying to lube the o rings and see if that would work.

So I ran to Lowes and bought some silicone lubricant and passed by the hose clamps in the plumbing section.. BINGO.. It dawned on me that maybe there was the tiniest of leakage around the hose connections.. so I grabbed 4 and brought them home.. installed just below each of the plastic hose clamps that come with the system and BOOM! The Canister filled up and is now purring like a dang kitten!

So I learned that lesson the hard way..but im ready for business now :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.