The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of setting up a new 75 gallon planted tank but have run into an obstacle. I'm hoping some of you might have some input on this:

The top of the water level is approximately 37 inches off the ground. I was running an xp3 on this, however it is having problems running. It indicated that the water level should be at least 24" from the top of the filter...and it is only 20". This is clearly a flaw in my stand design, but not something I can fix right now.

What other options do I have for filters in this situation?

1. I could go with 3 XP1s ($180 total).
2. I could try a combination of XP1s and HOT Magnums...but I'm not sure if the magnum would fit on the tank. (perhaps a slightly less expensive alternative...)
3. ...I don't know.

The 75 is too thick for aquaclears to fit on the back. I'm not sure how big the opening is on the 110, but the 50 and 70 are too small.

Can anyone help me out with some alternatives?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Id go with 1 or 2 canister filters. I have 2 2215's on my 75 gallon, along with a powerhead and 250 magnum for polishing during water changes and cleaning. The 2 2215 could use a little more flow...so id go with 2 2217. The benefit to having two is you can alternate cleaning them, but you have more equipment in you tank from the in/outflows

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In response to boink and mrbelvedere: the question is...will these canisters be ok with a water level that is only 37 or so inches off the ground? How tall are the canisters and do they specify water level requirements?

·
Registered
674 Posts
www.eheim.com

the head on the 2217s and up are decent for a waterline of 36 inches with media and no other inline equipment. if it were me id get 2 canisters so i can alternate cleaning. if you want to do inline plumbing you could also plumb in a booster pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.