The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Besides saving about $0.01 on electricity I can't see any benefits. Turning it off will allow waste to build up in the tank, starve the bacteria in the filter and reduce the flow in the tank.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Bacteria in the filter rely on constant flow/O2. Turning the filter off will lead to anaerobic conditions after a while, killing off the bacteria and creating nasty things like H2S.

So no, there is absolutely no benefit in turning the filter off. Matter of fact, when there is a power outage, I pull a cable from my car via inverter to keep the filters running.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
There is what I would call a secondary benefit off turning off your filter, but it is by no means a true benefit and I don't recommend doing it. There have been several occasions where I turned off my filter to take pictures and forgot to plug it back in. So the filter stayed off all night. The next day there was incredible pearling. Don't get me wrong, my tanks pearl all the time but the pearling was much more intense and earlier in the day. I attribute this to the tank having more oxygen due to the bacteria in the filter not consuming it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I attribute this to the tank having more oxygen due to the bacteria in the filter not consuming it.
I see this too. But I don't think it 's the oxygen levels as much as the lack of the strong circulation most planted tank owners have, which prevents us from seeing the tiny bubbles.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
In a power outage if I was home, I wouldn't let the filter set closed up for much more than an hour, probably less.

SteveU

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i would think the more intense pearling is due to more co2 in the tank due to nothing breaking the surface tension...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I turn my pumps off for 10 min when I feed.
I turn mine off for about 30 minutes when I change water. Short periods should be ok I think for the beneficial bacteria. It's hours and hours where it all dies and you might have problems.

·
Registered
907 Posts
i would think the more intense pearling is due to more co2 in the tank due to nothing breaking the surface tension...
ditto.
when i turn the lights on i turn the filter off and vice versa, its just me and i am doing this for one tank only, i am just assuming that during the day with filter off, there is enough co2 (i don't use co2 injection) for plants that will produce enough o2 for fish, and during the night, the filter will produce enough o2 for fish and plants.
the filter i am using by the way is hang on back type.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yesterday I was doing a water change and doing some replanting and I realized I had shut off my filters (2213) out pipe for the entire week. The only thing that was doing any filtering at all was a powerhead with a large foam pickup for what must have been 8 days. I am using pressurized C02 and Iron and the tank is 20 gallons. I washed out with filter completely and hooked it back up. Hoping for the best, will post with results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts