The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do I need a filter in a 5gal nano? I will (hopefully!) be keeping neons and corys in there... so i presume i do need one for the fish, but im not sure... wont it decrease the CO2 for the plants? and if so, do i then need to make a CO2 kit? I will more than likely have elodea densa, eleocharus parvulus, mini amazon sword, bacopa monnerii, vallisneria torta and rotalla indica in there. maybe sagittaria natans and aponogetum crispus if theres room!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just 2 let u know that i have done research but i have never come across any good sites, however that site was kinda helpful but not very useful at explaining the absolute basics simply. it kind of expects you to already know certain things. maybe it would benefit from a glossary for some of the less experienced among us... namely me! lol.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
There are probably millions of threads here that will discuss anything and everything..

with the stocking I would put some sort of filter on there and for 60-80w of lighting you will need co2 and lots of patience picking out algae. Some of the plants you listed will fill the tank on it's own moreless with other plants so try rethinking the plant list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thankyou, i am having trouble finding a site that tells me a lot about the plants, like the sizes they grow to, and some sites that do have the sizes don't have lots of plants, or how difficult they are to grow. Ive had to like cross-reference between the plants on here and on tropica.com with plantsalive.com. Its a ery laborous process, did everyone start like that?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You gotta start somewhere.... sometimes the info is right under your nose but you refuse to take a whiff.

There is a plant database above
At aquariumplantcenteral.com there is a plantfinder
there is plantgeek.net
oh and that one that links just about anything....google

·
Registered
89 Posts
filterless five gallon

The key is your plants have to be growing really well, then they clean the water. I bubbled a tiny tiny bit of C02 into a five gallon through a limewood airstone near the surface to drive plant growth, but it can be done without C02 too. You should set it up as a plant only tank and wait for them to grow a month or two, and test the water.

Hardy fish like white clouds, killies, or a betta are a good idea. You should probably have around three small fish max so a trio of killies is very nice. Nothing like danios that need swimming space. Maybe you could have 5 neons with no corys. Corys are more sensitive to water quality. I had six rasbora maculata in a mini tank and that was beautiful-but that one had a mini filter too.

Unless you keep your home at 75 degrees you may want to purchase a hydor 7.5 watt mini heater. They are so cool, small and flat. You can't adjust it but it kept my tanks around 75. Most tropical fish and many plants like it warm. White clouds and some killies will tolerate it cooler, but not the neons. Bettas actually hate to be cold, if you give a betta a heater he will perk right up.

Fast growing stem plants are good to include since they grow fast enough to clean the water. You regularly pull them up and replant the tops. I've had success using a couple of 14 or 20 watt compact fluorescent screw in bulbs for light.

Good luck, it is so fun creating a mini-world!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.