The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JBL Crystal Profit external filter and wondered if I had to stick to JBL when buying replacement carbon etc. The internal media is rectangular but has a circular hole in the center you take out and replace with other media.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Better off without carbon other then it being linked to HITH, it really only lasts a week at best.
All he's trying to accomplish is removing the Chlorine before the water goes into the tank...

I've never had a problem running carbon in any tank that I've had in the past 14 years. Though, I've never noticed a huge need for it either.:confused:

Granulated carbon has more surface area, but it may have a shorter lifespan...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
All he's trying to accomplish is removing the Chlorine before the water goes into the tank...

I've never had a problem running carbon in any tank that I've had in the past 14 years. Though, I've never noticed a huge need for it either.:confused:

Granulated carbon has more surface area, but it may have a shorter lifespan...
But if any dust from the carbon gets into the water it can lead to HITH in fish. Cheaper in my opinion, and safer is to just get a bottle of prime. 5ML treats 50 gallons, 250ML bottle $5- Carbon has a max lifespan of a week. As more, and more data comes out showing carbon, carbon dust, low quality carbon is used in aquaria causes fish health issues, i think the more it should be mentioned there runs a risk. If it's a fishless tank, same answer though i'm unaware of any plant risk using seachem prime.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
But if any dust from the carbon gets into the water it can lead to HITH in fish. Cheaper in my opinion, and safer is to just get a bottle of prime. 5ML treats 50 gallons, 250ML bottle $5- Carbon has a max lifespan of a week. As more, and more data comes out showing carbon, carbon dust, low quality carbon is used in aquaria causes fish health issues, i think the more it should be mentioned there runs a risk. If it's a fishless tank, same answer though i'm unaware of any plant risk using seachem prime.
I've never had any ill effects from using prime in planted tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.