The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... so I'm using two HOB filters currently and I just can't seem to justify paying the price of foam and filter floss that the pet stores are charging... well, unless I absolutely must that is.

So what are you all using for your water scrubbing and polishing needs? and where are you getting it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I love Purigen. The 100ml version comes already prebagged, and fits in most filters. Lasts 6 months (give or take) and you can recharge it with a soak in some bleach.

Also, no need to replace the foam that often, just rinse it out in your dirty tank water when you do a water change. Washing will clean it out so you can continue using it for mechanical filtration, and its already colonized by beneficial bacteria. If you put a new piece in you're going to go through a mini cycle.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Allow me to turn you on to the best wet bio filter there is PERIOD!!!

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret Filter Foam.html

His 1st pic is how I used to set up my filers for my breeder tanks for Africans.

I bought a huge pc of this from a pond supply place years ago when theyt went out of business. my is 6" deep, 12" wide 3" long. I cut it with an electric carving knife(think Thanksgiving).

For a HOB, toss out what they give you cut a chunk to fill the internal space...DONE. Never buy another pc of media. In my shrimp tank I did that and fitter a sponge over the intake. Squeeze it out in the water from a change...go to go again.

There's a lot of OLD SCHOOL stuff that is just plain better than tech.

RandomMan has a important point. If you do upgrade to a larger pc. of open foam, sick the new sponge in you tank, squeeze it so it fills with water, leave in the tank for a week, repeating the process. Install it in the HOB. Then do a larger water change.

Feed the fish light for a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.