The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what yall might reckon would be good filter media for an Aquaeon quiet flow LED pro 10 in my planted tank with pea puffers a few ghost shrimp and a loach as clean up crew?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
So I was wondering what yall might reckon would be good filter media for an Aquaeon quiet flow LED pro 10 in my planted tank with pea puffers a few ghost shrimp and a loach as clean up crew?
Discard the replacable cartridges and then stuff it full of filter sponge. All done.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Coarse sponges work good because they don't clog as easily.

forgot to add, I usually buy them in sheet form and cut to size.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I wouldn't throw out the carbon cartridge entirely - it can be handy to have around if you need to remove something from the water.

But yes, coarse sponges all the way, and just rinse them out periodically rather than replacing them every month or whatever crazy thing it says in your filter instructions. I think I just got more Aqueon sponges because they were cheap and available, but they aren't the only good option out there.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Search Amazon for aquarium filter sponges and you will find a lot of inexpensive options . I get mine that way and have never had an issue with them . I agree to keep the carbon , but I have a ton of carbon I have not had to use in years . It is good to have if needed cause if in a sealed container it will not go bad .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't throw out the carbon cartridge entirely - it can be handy to have around if you need to remove something from the water.

But yes, coarse sponges all the way, and just rinse them out periodically rather than replacing them every month or whatever crazy thing it says in your filter instructions. I think I just got more Aqueon sponges because they were cheap and available, but they aren't the only good option out there.
Thank you so much I got some coarse sponge today I have not added it yet I got it from petsmart so if it does end up being the right thing I can take it back 😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.