The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use 2 AC110 in my 75g Discus tank, and I was wondering if using Purigen or carbon in the filters is a good idea or would it neutralize the Florish Excel I use?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I dunno about Purigen, but carbon can remove some elements in ferts we dose for plants.

Many people use blue bonded filter pads and just cut them to size.

I havent seen this done but I dont see why you couldn't, but you could combine bio balls or ceramic cylinders with bonded filter pads in the HOB reservoir.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Seachem claims Purigen has minimal effect on trace elements and simply removes impurities.
Certainly not evidence that it does not remove some fert elements, but I've been using Purigen in the AC filters of my 75 gal planted discus tank on a regular on-going basis for about a year and a half, with no effect on plant growth that I can determine.
The Purigen keeps my tank crystal clear, and my med-tech plantings, with occasional use of pressurized CO2, but mainly regular dosage of Excel, Flourish C.S., Tailored Aquatics, NPK, Equilibrium, and root tabs do an excellent job.
Here's some pics of my second discus tank taken several months back when the plantings (and juvie discus) were fairly new.
Many of the plants, e.g. Swords, Lotuses, Hygros, have tripled in size since then.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kam, Glad to hear about the Purigen because I like its effect also. Good tip about the batting also!

DP, Beautiful tank by the way! looks crystal clear and uncluttered, you should be very proud of that one.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Thanks, henpecked - hope you try the Purigen - I don't think you'll ever look back and consider carbon at any time in future.
BTW, I see you're new to the forum. If you happen to be fairly new to discus as well, please don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any help at any time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am. Only been into fish for about 3 years now. still have a lot to learn, so I will take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Well, in that case, and for what it's worth, you may want to start with having a read of my discus guide:
It's a sticky on simplydiscus.com forum - here's the link:
www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus
Some of it is elementary fish-keeping, but a lot of it is specific to successfully keeping discus. Once you have a chance to go over it, if you have any questions, please ask.
I'll be glad to help out wherever I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts