The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some Val's but I melted them getting rid of BBA (which I'm happy to say is in remission :):):) )

So toady I'm heading to the Lfs to find some stuff for that corner

Anyway I'm thinking the corkscrew Val but I'm open to other options

How much can the corkscrews fill in do they propagate easily? Will they fill in from bottom to top in a 55?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vals tend to melt when they are transplanted to a new tank due to the different water parameters but come back with a vengeance once they acclimate. Just be sure to remove the melted leaves. It encourages new growth. Every time I have put them in a tank they have taken off like a rocket and began sending out runners within two weeks. Vals are root feeders so a nutrient rich substrate and/or root tabs will help them out immensely.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had some Val's but I melted them getting rid of BBA (which I'm happy to say is in remission
id be interested hearing how you did this?

Any plant you plant in the area of your intake with tend to get sucked up into the grate.

I would lean toward a more stiff stem/leaved plant like a fern od some sort. Swords and the like.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Pre-filter over my intakes prevent's leopoard vals,crypt balansae, from being pulled up against the uptake/intake.
Both have grown to the top and are lying across the surface, but the crypt balansae too much longer than the vals to do so.
Vals are said to do a bit better in hard water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.