The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filter HOB vs Canister - Maintenance/Access

3049 7
Hi All,

I have a 70 gallon long aquarium stocked with 4 discus, 8 black neon tetras, 3 young clown loaches and 3 SAE.

At the moment the tank is running on a Sunsun HW-304B 525 GPH 5-Stage Canister Filter, plus a power head to improve flow in the tank. It's moderately planted.
The problem is, maintenance on the canister is a pain, mainly because my stand doesn't make it really easy to access, and it always leaks a bit.

I wonder if i should swap the canister for this Seachem Tidal 110 Hang on Filter which seems like a pretty good HOB filter with a reasonable media carrying capacity. It would make so much easier to do daily maintenance, and even swapping medias (purigen etc)... also the HOB would likely give a better skimming on the surface and have a lower power consumption.

So what are your thoughts?

1.Keep the canister, and have a low schedule of maintenance...
2.Get rid of the canister and use the seachem Tidal, with a smaller media capacity but a high maintenance schedule.

Regards,
Rapha
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
With the live-stock you have, the canister filter is the best option because of the ability to increase/maximize biological filtration.
Im assuming with discus you are doing frequent water changes- the frequency and volume depends on their size , of course. With discus, mechanical is not as crucial as biological filtration- because you and your Python are essentially the mechanical ;)
On my discus tank I have a sponge prefilter that catches larger plant debris, uneaten food and the like --- this extends the life of my mechanical media in my canister. With this, I rinse my prefilter every 2--3 days and rinse out my mechanical every couple weeks.

The clown loaches- how long have you had them?
If not long, keep an eye out for them- they are unpredictable. I had a group and they harassed my discus for the heavy mucus the discus exude on body. They did this at night and left marks on the body of my fish.
Others have no problem with mixing them. So, just a heads up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I say get the Tidal 110.
Not to replace the SunSun, but to supplement it, as a back up.

If there's too much additional flow, just decrease the Tidal's output until it outputs gently. Beneficial bacteria doesn't need nor like fast flow anyhow. Even at a very slow flow, the biomedia can colonize to its optimum potential.

Most people with anything bigger than a small tank will have both a canister filter and a HOB. If your SunSun dies, you'll still be okay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the reply.

So the discus are 2 adults and 2 juveniles and they are doing great, i've been able to keep the whole stock healthy with just 40% water changes weekly.
The clown loaches i had them for 5 months and they have been good since then, haven't noticed them harassing any fish besides themselves although i wouldnt be able to know if they are being naughty at night lol.

psychofisho, i was thinking about that as well, having the Tidal 110 as secondary. I know that my filtration as it is is enough, but i wonder if i keep the HOB, the hob would probably get some of the debris and i would be able to maintain it easy, while the canister would take more time to build-up until i have to maintain it. Would this make sense? As my driftwood still leaches some tanins in the water im thinking of having some macropore/purigen in the hob, which will make it easy to change and recharge them, having them in the canister is just a pain, and as i live in an apartment my options are limited to a corner lol, otherwise i'd have a massive tank xD.

And sincerely, I've seen people saying that discus are extremely difficult that they need pristine conditions, but in my first experience with this ones it seems like its just difficult to get them stabilized eating and in a healthy pack at first and once they are like that it just seems like any other fish, with a higher price tag. Mine were tough at the start, but now they are like dogs literally.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
And sincerely, I've seen people saying that discus are extremely difficult that they need pristine conditions, but in my first experience with this ones it seems like its just difficult to get them stabilized eating and in a healthy pack at first and once they are like that it just seems like any other fish, with a higher price tag. Mine were tough at the start, but now they are like dogs literally.

I'm by no means any kind of a discus expert, but I don't think the idea is that they are that difficult to keep. I think the difficulty lies in getting the young to grow to their full potential. Many adult discus never reach their full size and roundness (less football shaped) because of less than ideal conditions when young.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I'm by no means any kind of a discus expert, but I don't think the idea is that they are that difficult to keep. I think the difficulty lies in getting the young to grow to their full potential. Many adult discus never reach their full size and roundness (less football shaped) because of less than ideal conditions when young.
Yep.
And a 40% water change weekly is inadequate for both adults-- and certainly juveniles. Discus exude a growth inhibitor from the heavy mucus that they shed continuously. Especially when juveniles. Need to change water when young frequently and wipe off sides of glass to rid it from the aquarium. Besides the Uaru, there are no other freshwater fish that build/slough mucus in such volume. This mucus is how both the Uaru and Discus feed their fry- the young "attaching to the body" just after hatch and feeding off this mucus.

So discus are very specialized fish with particular needs.

Juveniles (2-4 inches) should get water changes at the very least at 50% 3x weekly.

Sub-adults will have a more robust immune system- can take it down to 2X 50% weekly.
My adult discus get 1 weekly water change of 80%.- like clockwork.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought it was an HOB or a canister?
Sure, add an HOB- the extra filter will help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 70 gallon long aquarium stocked with 4 discus, 8 black neon tetras, 3 young clown loaches and 3 SAE.

At the moment the tank is running on a Sunsun HW-304B 525 GPH 5-Stage Canister Filter, plus a power head to improve flow in the tank. It's moderately planted.
The problem is, maintenance on the canister is a pain, mainly because my stand doesn't make it really easy to access, and it always leaks a bit.

I wonder if i should swap the canister for this Seachem Tidal 110 Hang on Filter which seems like a pretty good HOB filter with a reasonable media carrying capacity. It would make so much easier to do daily maintenance, and even swapping medias (purigen etc)... also the HOB would likely give a better skimming on the surface and have a lower power consumption.

So what are your thoughts?

1.Keep the canister, and have a low schedule of maintenance...
2.Get rid of the canister and use the seachem Tidal, with a smaller media capacity but a high maintenance schedule.

Regards,
Rapha

I had a similar problem,to hard to deal with the canister under the cabinet so I moved it out.I don`t know why the pic is 90* off.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.