The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with very high light. Right now I am using 2 DIY yeast bottles for CO2, but I have a full pressurized CO2 system on its way. The current filter is a Duetto 100 internal filter with the carbon removed. I used this filter before in a regular non-planted tank and it never clogged, but now with the new setup the flow is coming to a near stop every 3 days so I have to clean it a lot. It keeps the water crystal clear but I have no idea what is clogging it. Whatever clogs it is invisible to the naked eye, maybe it is the clear slimy stuff that comes from DIY CO2, or maybe microscopic algae spores? Any ideas? I have the CO2 going into the venturi valve which comes out the impeller so that might be part of the problem.

Do you think I should just get a more powerful filter? I have 2 feeder guppies, 3 huge cherry barbs, 2 siamese algae eaters, and yesterday I just got a giant glass shrimp and 3 ottos from Petco believe it or not. I never had a canister filter before. Do you think that would be overkill for a 10 gallon tank? I was looking at the Eheim 2213, Penn Plax 700, Marineland HOT Magnum, or Fluval 205. I saw another post suggesting the Eheim or Marineland for a 10 gallon. I like something that doesn't suck up tiny baby fish and is easy to remove carbon or put my own stuff in. I'd like to keep it around $100, but if I can figure out what's clogging my Duetto that would be ideal.

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
IMO the best canister filter for that tank would be the Eheim 2213. You would be very satisfied and wouldnt not have to clean it for upwards of 6 months or so.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not to start a war, but have to looked at the rena xp1? It's cheaper then the 2213, and for most people it a toss up between Eheims and Renas. I'm looking for a canister for a 10 gallon also, and was looking at both. I'm not biased one way or the other yet, but just wanted to give you another option. And for the record I am a happy Eheim Pro owner for over 5 years now.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
Either will work. I much prefer Eheim as they are designed to go extended periods of time without being opened. Rena relies on flow for efficient cleaning of the tank where the Eheim canisters rely on media..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... Sounds like I'll have to break my piggy bank. It seems high tech planted tanks cost roughly the same to fully setup whether they are 10 gallons or 100 gallons.

Anyway, the Eheim sounds cool and I found one for $80 shipped. Do you recommend me getting any additional accessories for the Eheim 2213? How long is the outlet spraybar that I think it comes with? Just wondering if it will fit horizontally width-wise since my tank is only 10" wide, or are you supposed to put the spraybar vertically?

Thank you all again for your help.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think the flow bar it comes with will fit, but you can also get the after-market Eheim "installation kits" that have adjustable intake and flow bars (plus they're black instead of that horrific green...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.