The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
So apparently the filter I now have (Elite Mini) is vibrating SO loud that it's making my bf's brains shake and he constantly is unplugging it. What other filter can I use for a 10gallon (planted) for shrimp that is quiet? What do you all use for your smaller shrimp tanks?

Please help, I don't think it's good for the tank to just sit stagnant for too long.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am using a cheap HOB with sponge over intake. It's very quiet as long as the water in high enough.

As shrimpnmoss said, canister is the quietest. People says Eheim is the best and quietest. However, it's expensive.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You might consider this Finnex http://www.finnex.net/index.php?pag...category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=61

I have it on my 4gl and it is VERY quiet and actually has bit too much power. I put a sponger filter over the intake and cut a larger sponge to replace the one supplied. I'm pretty certain with my "improved" sponges it will handle your 10g with no problems.

If you decide to get this one I will make you sponges to install on yours. Consider it a ROAK, just cover the shipping.

Aquacave is a sponser I've bought Finnex Heaters from them, I'd think they could get this HOB for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have an Aquaclear #30 150gph on my 15 gallon shrimp tank.

Its quiet, very easy to change filter media, and parts are readily available if you need them!

I got mine from Ken's Fish. They have excellent prices now plus you get a coupon for a YEAR FREE of filter inserts!

My filter has been going non-stop since March (except for filter changing & cleaning) with zero problems.

I also put an ATI Filter Max sponge filter on the intake so no critters get into the filter. (an intake filter is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for fish or shrimp fry)

http://www.kensfish.com/hagen-aquaclear-power-filters.html

HTH,

Marty

PS: I'm not afilliated with Ken's at all, I'm just a satisfied (and repeat) customer.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've fixed the vibration on my hagen elite mini by disassembling* it and the cleaning. Also I wrapped the cord that makes contact with the stand/tank so the vibration is kept to minimal.

I've had good experience with the red sea nano, but I don't think it will be effective for a 10gal. Check out the aquaclear HOB. Im thinking of using one or two for my 20L, price is just what's preventing me.

*Do it at your own risk.

·
Banned
943 Posts
If youre looking for whisper quiet no noise at all get the aquaclear which you will find at petsmart. For shrimp only just get the one rated 10-20 gallon I think it is. Dont want too strong of a current.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
what about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Sponge-...TF8&coliid=I3GBI5BL775PCT&colid=3L76AN3DHSH6M

I'm also looking for whatever's not too expensive. Also, if you could tell me where I can buy the things you suggest? thanks!
if you still wanna keep a power filter to circulate the water well I have had great success with the "whisper 10i" filter. you can buy it from walmart for $10, probably even less online. it hangs inside your tank (instead of the back or on top) so its virtually silent. i just cover the intake with sponge so the suction isn't too strong.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I find the aquaclear's give plenty of water flow, fluval edge sponge on the intake and good to go. The aquaclear is the next best thing you can get to a canister filter. Large media area to hold all kinds of media without expensive refills.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my sponge at Kens Fish and its made by ATI .

Although Amazon has the filter for $17.00 and change, Kens price is $21.00 PLUS FREE FILTER MEDIA FOR A YEAR !!!!!!!!!

So, you save about $4.00 buying the filter then PAY FOR THE FILTER MEDIA!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.