The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People that have seen my tanks know that I hate to have anything "intruding" into the tank itself. I don't like seeing filters, heaters, cords, powerheads, anything in the tank. I would like to have the smallest intrusion possible for my new tank setup. Perhaps just an inlet tube and Outlet hanging in the tank. The other stipulation is that it CANNOT be a hang on back type of filter. This tank cannot move from its current position, which is 3" from the wall, and that rules out H.O.B filters. Anyone have some pictures of of Filstars or Fluvals and what they look like when installed? Stock photos are kinda useless for this. This is for a 60gal Cube by the way.

Also, why do I see nothing on these forums about Submersible Filters?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The only part of my xp3 that is visible in the tank is the spray bar, and it is black like the background. The intake is an ugly gray color, but it is out of sight behind a piece of driftwood. Sorry I don't have any pictures. You can drill the tank and have nothing visible, or get some lilly pipes instead of intakes and spraybars.

Internal filters take up too much space and have small capacity compared to a canister.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been checking out pictures for over an hour now and I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was the hardware attached to the Filstars or the Fluvals etc.

One of the filters that caught my eye was the Magnum 350 Cannister. Thoughts? Will it be enough for the 60gal?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
All canisters are pretty much the same in the back. 3" of clearance should be plenty. It's just basically the thickness of the hose which is < 1" plus whatever maneuverability you need. I wouldn't go Magnum though. Any of the Fluvals, Filstars, Eheims and Cascades are newer design and do a better job than the Magnum (I had one 15 years ago).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a magnum purely for mechenical filtration. It does a good job for this. I also use HOB's on some of my tanks, and have 1 drilled.

With a magnum, or any cannister filter, you have a hose running from under your tank up over the side and into the tank. Usually you use a hard peice of plastic for the last bit. Check out http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/29016-acrylic-filter-overflows-no-lilies.html for some pictures of nice setups. This shows you what cannister filters look like when installed. Mine don't look as nice- I've been using black flexi-pipe instead of building something nice.

For the exact hardware that attaches to the cannisters-

I use inline heaters, co2 reactors, etc whenever I can. The Hydor ETH goes in the hose between the cannister and the pipes linked above, so you can put in under your tank or behind it. You cut the hose and plug the heater in. Hydor ETH 300w

Or, for a graphic showing it installed, Hydor and scroll about halfway down.

That's pretty much how you install things inline, also referred to as external.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the look of the clear inlet and output tubes, perhaps I'll have to build myself a set. I am very mechanically inclined and build most things I think are too expensive to buy. ;)

The only problem i will run into is that I did not make a door on the cabinet so I won't be able to have the cannister sit inside hidden. It can just sit next to it on the floor I guess. Won't be too bad. I read that some people claim one to be quieter than others. What would work for a 60gal tank thats as quiet as possible? Noise is a big concern since this one is in my bedroom and I can't exactly have a loud filter running all night to drive me up the wall.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I have an Eheim 2026 and a Rena XP3. Either one will do the trick for your tank. If it were in my bedroom, I would get the Eheim as it is much quieter. In fact, its so silent that you won't even know its running (no joke!). The Filstar, on the other hand, is a good filter and isn't that loud either, but you can hear trickling of water which may keep you up if its in your bedroom and/or you don't have a door on your stand. If you want to see a picture of these filters (spray bars at least), take a look at the link to my 90g thread (see signature). The Filstar tubes are black and the Eheim tubes are gray. Good luck.

-Ryan

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I think that I have decided on the Eheim 2213. Its rated ( yah I know) for a 66gal tank, and its got good reviews. I am going to get it from petsmart.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Make sure to print out the online price and bring it in store. They will honor the price, or at least they did for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts