Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages for
a new 65g Discus planted tank, and i
was wondering which filter
would be best? An aquaclear 70, a canister filter, sump filtration,
Or, as the tank is custom made
to order, a built-in filter like the nanocube?

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you're doing a planted tank a sump will gas off all of your hard won CO2 but i have heard of people stuffing their sumps with bioballs and running the water level higher- t effectively becomes a canister.

an eheim classic 2215 or 2217 i think the 2215 is rated for 93 gal. and the 2217 for 156 gal. those would be the canisters I'd pick from- leaning strongly towards the 2217- since over filtration is basically a must with discus.

those custom built in systems are cool however i think long term maintenance wise they're less easily accessible. we have one at work- a 38 gallon reef and i can barely get my hand to the bottom off the rear chambers and only in one direction if i twist my hand the other way or try to grab anything at the bottom my hand gets stuck- your's would be slightly larger but. . .prob. still cramped. although you won't often have to be fishing around back there- less filter volume than a traditional sump is a factor to consider too.

as far as the aquaclear goes i love those filters on the smaller tanks i have at home but I've never ran one on a bigger tank. i think you get a lot more filtration per dollar with a canister.

hope that helps you decide.

cheers-K

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd go with either a sump, a Rena XP3, Eheim 2217, or 2x AquaClear 70s.

I do like the AC 110, but I don't think one would be quite enough for your tank... but 2 would be more than enough if you'd rather go that direction.

If you're putting CO2 on the tank, I'd go with one of the canisters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.