The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fluval Flora/Ebi tank and want to replace the internal filter that comes with the kit.

Can anyone recommend a quiet replacement applicable for the size of the tank.

I can't believe the Fluval Nano internal filter is so noisy and needs so much impeller maintenance to have it quiet. Even then, I can hear its hum, which is annoying.

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I think it'll have to be internal since the way the glass lid places, there's no room for anything hanging, or even if I wanted a canister filter, there's not much in terms of opening. Essentially, the lid is a square glass piece that sits on top and is held by plastic mounts in each corner,

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm running a eheim 2213 on mine :). Had to cut a slice of the top off to fit the inflow and outflow. Also made holes bigger to reduce flow because it disturbed substrate. You can almost always reduce flow but you can augment it without additional purchases.
Water Pet supply Aquatic plant Glass Aquarium

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
518 Posts
I used a glass cutting tool to make a deep scratch strait across the glass and used a special type of pliars to break it. Essentially I reduced the dimensions of the square glass cover by an inch on one side. I borrowed all the tools I needed from the art department at my school. Took 1 minute to actually do. It was well worth it for optimal filtration an aesthetics

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Fluval Flora/Ebi tank and want to replace the internal filter that comes with the kit.

Can anyone recommend a quiet replacement applicable for the size of the tank.

I can't believe the Fluval Nano internal filter is so noisy and needs so much impeller maintenance to have it quiet. Even then, I can hear its hum, which is annoying.

Thanks
I had an Ebi and used the internal filter. It got noisy and I wrapped teflon tape per the following fix and never had a problem again:

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthread.php?14405-Fix-For-Fluval-Nano-Impeller-Noise

Have you tried this already?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!!

I now am going to try the Teflon 'fix' and then perhaps go to the Eheim route (my only concern is that it might be too 'powerful'/an overkill for such a small tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.