The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old filter broke last night, in a long string of drama with this tank.
So i need reccomendations on what filter to get and where i can aquire it. I would like to overfilter a bit as it's for goldfish.

Help?

·
Banned
4,112 Posts
Just get something cheap since its for your goldfish (not saying your golfish don't deserve it, I'm just saying they don't require anything fancy), I'd go with a typical HOB.

Whisper and AquaClear are my clear choice. Just get the bigger sizes at least one made for a 50 gal or more. However, find an extention so you can put the inflow tube nearer to the bottom where gunk seems to accumulate the most. HOBs are cheap, yet gives good GPH flow but their weak point is that if your tank is over a ft in height, gunk will build up at the bottom. Anyway, just siphon the substrate in the tank with a python every two weeks or month, based on how many goldfish you have in there and if you have gravel. Goldfish eat and crap a lot, had a ft long one.

If you have issues dealing with the waste or you think you might have a lot of bioload in the tank, get a canister filter. For that size I recommend at least an eheim 2215 or a XP2 at the very least.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.