The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 gal. high tank up the attic that I want to set up as a planted guppy tank. Previously I used an AquaClear 30 HOB to filter it. It did an adequate job with a stable fish population and no live plants. However, with guppies the population will be fluctuating. Also, I plan on planting it heavily which experience tells me will increase the detritus considerably.

The AC30 did not do a great job of reaching the lower levels of an 18" deep tank. So, I'm thinking about a canister filter. I've looked at the Tom's Rapids Mini, the ZooMed 501, the Finnex PX360, the Eheim 2213 and the SunSun HW302. I'm more confused than ever! Price IS a factor but saving money is pointless if it means having poor or inadequate filtration.

I'd welcome any advice or suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay. Eheim 2013 it will be!

I also checked out the 2211. It seems very similar except that it's smaller, has a lower flow rate, and no internal media baskets. It would also probably do the job. However, for the small difference in price between the 2211 and the 2213 I've decided that the 2213 is a better deal. My motto has always been that when in doubt it's better to have too much filtering capacity than only adequate or not enough filtering capacity. I find this especially true with planted and live-bearer tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.