The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just started my first planted tank and I guess I somehow missed in my research that carbon filters are bad for planted tanks. I've had my tank running for a couple months now, I just have a couple anubias, a couple java ferns, java moss, some frogbit and red root floaters. I'm using seachem flourish for fertilizer. I have the Aqua-tech 5-15 filter which has the carbon filter in it. Is there something I can put in my current filter as filter media instead of the carbon filter or do I need to get a new filter all together? Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As long as your water is turning over enough that it is keeping clear and you have good movement & parameters are kept in check then the filter should be fine. I have run those filters in the past. If the carbon is removing too many nutrients and robbing your plants then you can just remove it from the blue filter bag. I used a razor knife or scissors and cut the top of the blue "mechanical" filter and just emptied the AC out. You can just use it as a mechancal filter or a pouch for other media that is desired. The nice part is you just have to rinse the blue part with aquarium water on PWCs and replace it. No need to by a new one. I would look into using some flourish excel in addition to the flourish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
try the odyssa cfs 118 hang on back canstier filter. has three media baskets, options for spray bar or regular nozzel. has a 100gph flow rate. or get the all pond solutions HOB 500 or the sunsun hbl 803 its the same filter but made by two manufactures. this one has up to 5 media baskets!!! and a flow rate of 140gph its a hang on back canister too

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know about the Aquatech, but for many filters people just pull out the filter cartridge and put some foam in it's place. Just cut it to size and squeeze it in where the cartridge went. Once a water change give it a good squeeze and rinse in old tank water (not chlorinated water) and put it back in. Only change it when you feel like it is reducing the water flow. It will hold some of the beneficial bacteria for the tank.

I also tend to like having the bio rings in a bag to preserve the beneficial bacteria and I use it to help seed new tanks when I'm starting them up.

If you do need carbon or something better/reusable like purigen, you can also add that in there.

I recently bought a Marina S10 filter, but I have no intention of buying the replacement cartridges. I'm going to stuff it with the media I'd like.

This is basically how the VERY popular Aquaclear filters work (which I have on my community tank).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.