The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canisters are expensive. HOBs are ugly. What filter should I get for my planted 10? I plan to add fish and shrimp soon, but am waiting until I can get something that can handle the bioload.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I have now, but it's got weak flow and probably is too small to hold enough biomedia to keep the tank going in the long run. I'm guessing a canister would be my best choice, but they really are expensive. Are there cheaper models anywhere? And I guess HOBs aren't completely out of the picture. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Aquaclear HOB was my go-to filter for years... it fit the budget and its got generous space for various media, really, you can stuff whatever you want in there.

If you do want to go canister you could try the TOM Rapids Mini Canister. Its not the best canister filter EVAR or anything like that- and it can be annoying to service- but its a good little workhorse and would be more than enough for a ten gallon. I'm running one right now on my 30 gal monster tank just to have an extra volume of bio-media... it does solid work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.