The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So i have small dwarf golden barbs. They are found in lakes with a slow current. So... how do I determine best filter flow rate for them without sacrificing water filtration? are there signs to look for in the fish to know how they're coping? I'm running an aquaclear 20 in a 10 gallon planted tank. I have some floating plants. I have a sponge on the intake tube.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Intake cover is good. You should also cut a chunk of filter foam to stuff over the outflow that will diffuse the water and make it more gentle for small fish-Many betta owners do with with their pump based fluval tanks or HOB filters). Just make it part of the routine when you do a water change to pull off the intake and outflow foam and ring out real quick in the removed tank water then putting them back in place. This keeps them from clogging up and causing issues for the filter.
Another outflow cover option is to cut a plastic cup. This you'll have to clean once in a while just to remove algae.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Intake cover is good. You should also cut a chunk of filter foam to stuff over the outflow that will diffuse the water and make it more gentle for small fish-Many betta owners do with with their pump based fluval tanks or HOB filters). Just make it part of the routine when you do a water change to pull off the intake and outflow foam and ring out real quick in the removed tank water then putting them back in place. This keeps them from clogging up and causing issues for the filter.
Another outflow cover option is to cut a plastic cup. This you'll have to clean once in a while just to remove algae.
That cup idea is kinda genius and I love it. I was using pieces of my filter foam originally and it drove me nuts sometimes if I had to open the filter top and it would fall in. Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts