The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an established lowish tech 29 gal tank.

The tank is moderately planted, receives daily doses of Excel, and weekly doses of EI.

Lighting is moderately high (I guess)- Planted Plus light.

For filtration/flow, I have an Ehiem canister filter with a spray bar. I also have, for surface agitation, a AQ 50. And lastly, a small powerhead halfway down the depth of the tank. This powerhead points slightly down.

My question: Is it safe for the fish, and potentially beneficial for the growth of the plants, to shut off the filters/flow when the lights are on, and turn them back on right before lights out?

Would this increase the concentration of CO2 for the plants, helping them to grow better/faster? Would the O2 from the plants be enough to help the fish breathe until the return of the filter/flow?

I want to try this, but figured I would ask here first before experimenting. I seem to find varying opinions in my limited research.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an established lowish tech 29 gal tank.

The tank is moderately planted, receives daily doses of Excel, and weekly doses of EI.

Lighting is moderately high (I guess)- Planted Plus light.

For filtration/flow, I have an Ehiem canister filter with a spray bar. I also have, for surface agitation, a AQ 50. And lastly, a small powerhead halfway down the depth of the tank. This powerhead points slightly down.

My question: Is it safe for the fish, and potentially beneficial for the growth of the plants, to shut off the filters/flow when the lights are on, and turn them back on right before lights out?

Would this increase the concentration of CO2 for the plants, helping them to grow better/faster? Would the O2 from the plants be enough to help the fish breathe until the return of the filter/flow?

I want to try this, but figured I would ask here first before experimenting. I seem to find varying opinions in my limited research.
Pic of the tank.

Plant Green Nature Terrestrial plant Rectangle

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wan to avoid a DYI CO2 set up, or otherwise. Im just trying to increase the current amount of available or potentially available CO2. If this wouldnt make a difference, then ill keep up with what I am already doing.

I just figured the decrease in surface agitation would boost the amount of available CO2 in conjunction with the Excel regimen.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Turning the filter off is a bad idea, they start to go anaerobic pretty quickly, not so bad with a really clean filter but can be significant with a dirty one. Also the gunk that gets blown out when it comes back on is annoying. I usually drain my input line when changing my filter to help avoid that. On a completely different note love the avatar! Nothing better than listening to some Dead and watching the tank!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turning the filter off is a bad idea, they start to go anaerobic pretty quickly, not so bad with a really clean filter but can be significant with a dirty one. Also the gunk that gets blown out when it comes back on is annoying. I usually drain my input line when changing my filter to help avoid that. On a completely different note love the avatar! Nothing better than listening to some Dead and watching the tank!
Would my canister filter get anaerobic, considering everything would still be in tank water (i.e- primed)?

Nothing better than a pair of headphones, the right tunes, and some Mothernature.. Makes for some long tank staring sessions. I sometimes get lost in that wonderful miniature world. :grin2:

Nice tank! ?
Thanks. Ive been her bitch for a couple years now. lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its the lack of oxygen in the canister when it's off that's the problem. Sometimes a canister can be off for a day or so, and be turned back on and nothing happens. Sometimes they can be off for 10 or so hours and come back on, and wipe all the fish out. I have seen both happen personally. Is that a chance you are willing to take?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its the lack of oxygen in the canister when it's off that's the problem. Sometimes a canister can be off for a day or so, and be turned back on and nothing happens. Sometimes they can be off for 10 or so hours and come back on, and wipe all the fish out. I have seen both happen personally. Is that a chance you are willing to take?
Wow. I never knew that could happen... No. It's certainly not worth it.

I've decided to compromise. I've shut off my AC50. It's reduced the surface agitation greatly.

I took that opportunity to add some frogbit from another tank. Looks pretty neat.

I also added quite a few lava rocks. I'm hoping my bacopa will continue to grow around and through it.

Plant People in nature Natural landscape Natural environment Branch

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. I never knew that could happen... No. It's certainly not worth it.

I've decided to compromise. I've shut off my AC50. It's reduced the surface agitation greatly.

I took that opportunity to add some frogbit from another tank. Looks pretty neat.

I also added quite a few lava rocks. I'm hoping my bacopa will continue to grow around and through it.

View attachment 609017

Plant Plant community Green Organism Botany

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.