The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like using filter floss in my aquariums to capture organics and keep my water crystal clear. Polyester floss used to be available in a finer fiber but now most of it is pretty coarse. It doesn't trap much. Cotton sandwiched in between 2 layers of polyester works great but the cotton rots within a week. I was thinking of using a glass wool but I am worried the tiny glass particles might go into the water and harm the fish. Kind of like working with fiberglass insulation makes your hands itchy if you don't wear gloves etc. Does anyone have any ideas? There used to be some kind of higher quality natural fiber pillow batting at the fabric store but I have not seen it in years. It did not seem to rot much.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I use quilt batting, which is polyester fiber sold in fabric and craft stores. 1 quilt-worth is enough for a lifetime!
It is not the fluffy 'cotton candy' sort of stuff that is sold for aquariums. It is more like a sheet. I fold it double for all but the smaller filters. Works great.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I use quilt batting, which is polyester fiber sold in fabric and craft stores. 1 quilt-worth is enough for a lifetime!
It is not the fluffy 'cotton candy' sort of stuff that is sold for aquariums. It is more like a sheet. I fold it double for all but the smaller filters. Works great.

Exactly what I've been buying, using & doing (doubling up) for years.
Just be sure the fabric store can confirm their polyester quilt batting contains no fire retardants, or any other chemical additives.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I use the same as everyone mentioned above, 100% polyester (I use the batting sheet/roll, not the loose fluff/pillow stuffing, less messy). Cheap and works good. I get mine from Walmart in the sewing section. I'm sure arts and craft places like Joanna or Michael's has some.

The ones I see are tightly woven enough to catch small particles. You can layer them to have increased odds of catching even smaller particles. Once they clog up, the pores get even smaller, so eventually they would collect the smallest of particles, though since they are clogged, flow gets restricted.

There are micron filter sheets out there (Kensfish has some 50 and 100 micron). Pretty sure filter floss could filter out nearly as small particles as those if layered enough.

Activated carbon/charcoal or Seachem Purigen may improve clarity a bit.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Give a foam type filter a try. They don't get icky, and seem to polish water really well.
I am slowly changing over almost all my filters. Only thing it can't do is hold carbon.
I find different brands of floss have different coarseness.
Locally I like using the Marltons' floss, it is super soft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.