The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I need to clean my canisters today and I went out and picked up some fiber fill from the craft store. They had a couple brands to choose from, but none of them stated whether it was flame retardant. I did pull a piece off and lit it on fire. It does burn and the flame will spread but eventually goes out. It is 100% polyester fiber but I'm just not sure whether it's safe to use. Anyone have any insight on this? If this is no good could someone recommend a brand I could use?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Looks good. I think that if it does not say 'Flame Retardant' then it is not, so it is OK.
Does the company that packaged it have a web site? Maybe more info there.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
From what's been said, if the bag doesn't specifically say "Fire Retardant" then it shouldn't have any chemical and would be safe to use in aquaria.
So the one you have should be safe to use. Your's is already 100% polyester so you are good there.

But if you still have doubts, I use Poly-Fil made by Fairfield and it's safe. 100% polyester, doesn't mention "Fire Retardant" and I've been using it for years.
I get it Walmart, I prefer to get the batting/sheet/roll, not the loose fluff (for stuffing plush toys, pillows, etc.). The loose form just more likely has little pieces of thread that come off that can end up floating around in your aquarium. Haven't heard of it entangling and binding up impellers though. The roll is just more convenient IMO.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what's been said, if the bag doesn't specifically say "Fire Retardant" then it shouldn't have any chemical and would be safe to use in aquaria.
So the one you have should be safe to use. Your's is already 100% polyester so you are good there.

But if you still have doubts, I use Poly-Fil made by Fairfield and it's safe. 100% polyester, doesn't mention "Fire Retardant" and I've been using it for years.
I get it Walmart, I prefer to get the batting/sheet/roll, not the loose fluff (for stuffing plush toys, pillows, etc.). The loose form just more likely has little pieces of thread that come off that can end up floating around in your aquarium. Haven't heard of it entangling and binding up impellers though. The roll is just more convenient IMO.
Yeah so I got impatient and ran out to Walmart and picked a 50oz bag of the Poly-fil. While I was standing there I called Fairfield and they stated that they do not treat any of there products. I did burn the poly-fil and it burns the same as the original fiber I bought, so I guess I have a 2 year supply now.

Thanks for all the info

Bump:
Looks good. I think that if it does not say 'Flame Retardant' then it is not, so it is OK.
Does the company that packaged it have a web site? Maybe more info there.
No it did not. It is a house brand material of Michaels.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, the Fairfield stuff that comes rolled up in sheets is what I use. You can actually find that information on their website if you look hard enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts