The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off my filter for feeding time but have it automaticlly turn back on. Sorta like a bathroom fan timer but for being off instead of on?

My filters are pretty strong and blow the food all around and so i was wanting to have them off at feeding time but don't want to forget to turn them back on.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
If you are handy with electronics you could build yourself a little gadget that does that. You'd need a delay timer, and a relay. You would use the NC (normally closed) contacts, and upon activating the timer the relay contacts would open, and remain open for a certain period, which would turn off your filter(s) for that time.

I don't know if there is anything ready-made...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is kinda along the lines of what i was thinking. I'm a little handy with electricity, but more like wiring outlets, florecent balasts, and simple wires with resestors to LEDs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only way I know of doing this is with a full-blown controller, like the ones they use for reef tanks. Pricey though....
Try looking for AcJr. or ReefKeeperLite.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
Yeah that is kinda along the lines of what i was thinking. I'm a little handy with electricity, but more like wiring outlets, florecent balasts, and simple wires with resestors to LEDs.
If you can do that, you can built yourself a little gadget like I described. Look for the MX046 delay timer, bakatronics or qkits should have that. It has 110V in, 110V out, and a switch connector. You can adjust the delay time.

Then you need a 110V relay, which you connect to the 110V out of the timer. Wire an outlet to the NC contacts of the relay. Wire a push button to the switch of the delay timer. Put it all in a little enclosure. Push the button, the filters will turn off, and remain off for the specified delay time.

I did something a bit similar for an autodosing application.

Should be able to do all this for under $20. Or spend ten times as much and get an AquaController. :wink:

26 Posts
it is really easy if you can wire a plug you can do this i will post pics i did a similar thing for my co2 and i used the closed on my relay for my co2 and the open for my moon lights that way the co2 run during the day and turns off at night when the moon lights are on.

·
Registered
885 Posts
couldn't' you just use a pin type mechanical timer have it "on" all the time and have a pin or two (i think there 15min each) set off so it will be off during feeding.

like this

i think walmart sells em for 6 bucks in the lighting isle

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i thought about a timer but with my schedule (or lack of one) i don't feed at a regualr time.

So a push button deal that turns off the filter for a few mins would be great, especially having a sureface skimmer on my turtle tank.

This does look like something i could try, just need to learn about relays, havn't used them before.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yeah i thought about a timer but with my schedule (or lack of one) i don't feed at a regualr time.

So a push button deal that turns off the filter for a few mins would be great, especially having a sureface skimmer on my turtle tank.

This does look like something i could try, just need to learn about relays, havn't used them before.
Or you could just keep the filter plugged into a power strip in easy reach with an on/off switch.

(Admit it- ya'll just like making toys... :flick:)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Or you could just keep the filter plugged into a power strip in easy reach with an on/off switch.

(Admit it- ya'll just like making toys... :flick:)
the problem with that is you need to remember to turn it back on. i do that all the time with my heater @water change time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mostly it's my memory but yes toys a little.

Ok so i think i have this think figured out. I already have some junction boxes under my tank so that will help. I'll mount a box with this in and have power running to it, then the out goes to a the relay and the relay can just go to a female plug my filter plugs into. Basically the board runs it's own deal and the relay will get spliced in the middle of a short extention cord for the filter.

For the switch, is that powered by the board? what is the rating at this? just run small wires from then box to where i want to mount the push button switch?

For the relay, i under stand how they work now but not sure what would work, and how do you attach the wire to the 110v relays, do they have screws or something?

·
Registered
885 Posts

you could have the timer pins set for always on. you hit the little override button on the timer to turn off the filter, and the filter will turn right back on when ever the next pin on the timer clicks over. it will give you a ~15min delay from when you turned it off. ( i know this works on my timer atleast if you turn it off during its 'program" it will turn back on the moment the next pin clicks.)

just a thought trying to keep it easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a pretty good thought, just have to put the pin back later. Although the timer would be in a not so easy place to get to considering how often i would need to compairded to a push button switch that could be located near the door of the stand.

·
Registered
885 Posts
That is a pretty good thought, just have to put the pin back later. Although the timer would be in a not so easy place to get to considering how often i would need to compairded to a push button switch that could be located near the door of the stand.
the pins would never need to be moved they all are set "on" when you hit the button (on the top of my timer) it sets the timer to be off if on and on if off the pins never move as the timer progresss and the next pin hits the switch in side it resumes back to the its on setting.

so you would set the timer up near somewere you can get to it easily to hit the button. feed after a few minutes as the timer moves on the next pin (already set on all the pins are set on) turns it self back on.

hit button filter stops
feed
walk away
timer keeps on going in the mean time
after 15-30 (depends on timer) it clicks over to its next pin and restarts
you do nothing.

the only thing you ever do is hit the button to turn it off the rest is automatic. hitting the button doesnt affect the pins current setting it just overrides what ever that pin is doing at that time. the next day it will still be an "on'

hope that makes since

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
For the switch, is that powered by the board? what is the rating at this? just run small wires from then box to where i want to mount the push button switch?
You are just closing/opening a connection. Pretty sure it is a low voltage circuit there. So running some wires to the place where you put the push button should work fine.

For the relay, i under stand how they work now but not sure what would work, and how do you attach the wire to the 110v relays, do they have screws or something?
The right way is to use a socket for the relay which provides for connections via screws or some sort of clamps. The quick way is to solder the wires directly to the relay pins.

What bigboij is suggesting would work too, provided you find the right timer with an alternating switch, which switches back with the next notch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking the MX046 is the way i want to get this done. So the relay should control an outlet and then just plug what i want into the outlet?

Would you be able to sugest what relay i should i get?

Also would the MX046 come with any digrames or do you get just the board?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
I'd just search around on ebay. Search for Relay 110V, like Potter&Brumfield or such. Many of them can switch 3 Amps which is plenty for up to 8 canister filters. :smile: Prices are all over the place, but you should be able to get something for $2-4 plus some shipping. There might be electronics supply stores in your area that have them for similar money without the shipping, not sure.

The relay will have various contacts, and a schematic on the plastic housing which tells you which pins are which. So you'll just connect an outlet to the NC contacts, and plug your filters/pumps into that outlet.

The delay timer comes with a diagram that shows which components are used and how they are connected, but you don't really need it since it has convenient screw connections for the wires. There is a variable resistor which allows you to adjust the delay time from roughly 30 seconds to 5 or so minutes. You can change that range by switching out some of the capacitors, but it seem like it would work for your purpose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wasserpest I wanted to thank you for your help. I got all the parts and have this up and running now. At school we have a laser cutter that i can draw up CAD drawings for so i made a nice litlle inclosure.

Works great, hit the button and the filter shuts off for a bout 5 mins (which i set it for) then after i walk away and have forgot about it, the filter kicks back on. all the food has been eaten by then and is not sucking food in.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Very nice!

I have an X10 system controlled by computer. The modules are pretty cheap on Ebay. I've seen some good control software, even for free; but I just wrote my own.

Lights, filters, and aeration are individually controlled on four aquariums. All are automated, turning on and off according to the schedules I program.

To feed the fish, I press a button on a wireless remote. Everything that causes water motion in all four of my aquariums is shut off for 10 minutes, then automatically turned back on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow that sounds pretty cool. Might have to look into that when i'm done with college and get settled and upgrade my tanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts