The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a canister filter "finally" for 55 gal, keep in mind that i eventually, maybe a few years or so, would like to get a 90 gal tank.. defiantly nothing bigger than that though.
I have read soooo many threads and forums on "which is the best canister filter" and have come to the conclusion that the Classic Eheim's are among the favorite as well as the FX5.

i know a single classic eheim on my 55 gal would be on the low side and have realized that i would probably need 2, say 2 of the 2217's(149$ each) or 2 2215's(109$ each) not sure which would be sufficient. OR the FX5 which routinely shows up on ebay for about 200$ new on ebay.
What does everyone think, which would you choose, or is there a better filter option than these.

Thanks, chris

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd go with 2x 2217s if you plan to upgrade them to a 90gal some day.

Though I think you'd be just fine with one 2217 until then. If you needed any extra flow (one may be just fine w/out, depending on how heavily you plant and stock the tank), a powerhead would do the trick.

A Rena XP3 is another option to consider.

I'm running an XP3 and an XP4 on my own 90gal (would do 2x XP3s if I had it to do over...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts