The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a aqua clear 300 power filter, If I use this filter which breaks the surface of the water will it negate me using a co2 system? What kind of fliter would be a good choice if so? O by the way its a 50 gallon aquarium thats 36 x 18.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Canister filter is the most popular. I personally would go with a Rena Filstar XP3. Lotta bang for the buck. And it can power a external CO2 reactor.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I would go with a Rena XP3 or perhaps an Eheim 2028 with a 50g, if you don't mind spending more. Power filters are highly NOT recommended for planted tanks as they disturb the surface too much and Co2 escapes more quickly. Plus, they're kind of an eyesore. Canisters are hidden below the stand and all you see are the intake & spraybar.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanks I have learned a lot, I will go with the xp3, I found one online for 99 dollars new is that a good price?

·
Banned
70 Posts
I have a aqua clear 300 power filter, If I use this filter which breaks the surface of the water will it negate me using a co2 system? What kind of fliter would be a good choice if so? O by the way its a 50 gallon aquarium thats 36 x 18.
i just a catalina aquarium canister filter off ebay .i have it running along side my eheim and its running just as smoothe i only had it for a week so far ireally like it and it only cost 56 bucks shipping and all and its good for 50-240 gallons

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
About the cheapest place your going to find is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter at Big Al's Online

I have heard if you print it out and take it in Petsmart will price match it. But I buy stuff from there all the time so I havent bothered attempting the petsmart pricematch yet. Dont forget you'll need to also buy media, atleast when I bought the xp3 if didnt come with anything but the filter pads. The flow rate on the XP3 may seem like a lot at first on that tank, but it'll slow down a bit after the filter gets established. I use it on a 75 and have to run a couple of powerheads to help in circulation. If you can afford it I'd go for the Eheim Pro2 2026 Eheim 2026 Professionel II Canister Filter With Media Value Pack at Big Al's Online on sale now and includes all media. Having both, I think the Eheim is much better unit with many more features. But for filtration, the XP3 will do fine and save you a little bit.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Petsmart price matched an xp3 for me. I went in with the bigals(89.99) and the petsmart(104.99) online price printed out just in case they didn't take the bigals, they did. It is worth a shot anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts