The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cleaning out the zoo med that filters the Cherry tank......at least 25 some were adults, a few with eggs......Yes, breeding in the 501. That is with a safety net attached. Tomorrow will place a piece of foam over the intake. That is the only filter running with out sponge over intake, I used a very small netting tripled. Oh well. Shrimp in a filter is a first for me !!!!

Will make a little observation about temps. This is the only shrimp tank that is in the western facing room of our home. Temps can become quiet warm during the peak of our summer. I really had not noticed how much till it has cooled off lately how many are berried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is further testament to the understanding that RCS are tough Mofos.

I have a sponge filter....and every few months I clean out my filter.

Without fail there are some juvis in there, even a few adults.

The moltings in there show they have been in there a while, perhaps even their whole lives.

What they eat I have no idea! There is no light....imagine being in a dark washing machine for all your life then being thrown into the wide open one day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to find cories in my Emperor 400's.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
BN plecos in Marineland Emperor HOB's. I now have sponge prefilters over all my intakes and no more HOB's.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good to know I'm not alone!!!!
Really think that after some of these babies grow out some I'm going to thin the heard a little. Way to many in the 4G Finnex. I really think RCS are incredibly strong shrimp. A month or so ago a local club member gave me some flame moss. OK did not have a place for it, so I left it sealed in the bag floating in a tank. Two weeks later I opened it in a cup and out ran 4 Cherries. They all are still alive~~~~ To date this is the heartiest shrimp that I have.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I decided to put a sponge on my intake after It took me 1/2 hour to pick shrimp and guppy babies out of my canister filter. Judging by the size of the shrimp, they weren't exactly starving in there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The RCS probably eat the bacteria growing on the filter media. I have a Lee's box-like sponge filter and baby snails and shrimp get through the slots all the time, then grow too big to get out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts