The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So everything was working fine but then I took the inflow pipe out of the water to get some substrate pellets off it. They fell off easy but of course the filter started sucking dry. I put it back in the water and tried to prime it through the outflow pipe but no matter how often I try to do this, it won't start sucking again. I don't see a clog in the hose. There is a lot of air though and the outflow is just a trickle. Do I need to take the lid off the canister filter or anything? I'm not sure what steps to take.

Edit: Maybe there is a clog. I disconnected the inflow, let it run a bit, but it wouldn't get rid of that last big air pocket. So I forced the flow in the opposite direction, then let it run again. It has no problem running when it's disconnected, so there might be a clog. I think what I have to do with the 2213 is unplug it, disconnect both flows, and then lift the lid to the canister.

Edit 2: Made a mess but insured that there is no clog in any of the hose. Going to put this all back together again, and then I don't know what.

Edit 3: Primed it, plugged it back in, it's working again. But I'd love to know what went wrong and how to better go about it next time, because that was one crappy hour.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
I’ve been running an Eheim 2213 for about a year and a half now. Any time I mess with it I unplug it first, mostly because air getting into it can be pretty annoying. When the thing has no air in it, it runs like a tank. When I clean the hoses, I take them off using the double taps. When I reinstall them, I’ll pour water back into the hoses until they are full right before reattaching the lily pipes, all to ensure they don’t bring in that excess air when I turn it back on. Early on I think I had a similar problem to what your describing. As long as your double taps are open, then I would say it was the air. I found that it was easiest to open the canister and fill it with tank water nearly to the top so that when you put the top back on a little water drips out, then you have completely full canister. If you notice air is getting pulled in, you can even keep it running and tilt the filter, rock it back and forth, even shake it, and it will make this sound of air moving inside and making its way back out of the outflow. All this to say, try not to let air into it if you can help it, and when you, even a little, rock the thing around to release the air so you get your flow back. Also if you use the double taps to reduce your flow, and your having issues getting the flow going after maintenance, open them up fully until it releases all the air, then adjust them back to where you want them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve been running an Eheim 2213 for about a year and a half now. Any time I mess with it I unplug it first, mostly because air getting into it can be pretty annoying. When the thing has no air in it, it runs like a tank. When I clean the hoses, I take them off using the double taps. When I reinstall them, I’ll pour water back into the hoses until they are full right before reattaching the lily pipes, all to ensure they don’t bring in that excess air when I turn it back on. Early on I think I had a similar problem to what your describing. As long as your double taps are open, then I would say it was the air. I found that it was easiest to open the canister and fill it with tank water nearly to the top so that when you put the top back on a little water drips out, then you have completely full canister. If you notice air is getting pulled in, you can even keep it running and tilt the filter, rock it back and forth, even shake it, and it will make this sound of air moving inside and making its way back out of the outflow. All this to say, try not to let air into it if you can help it, and when you, even a little, rock the thing around to release the air so you get your flow back. Also if you use the double taps to reduce your flow, and your having issues getting the flow going after maintenance, open them up fully until it releases all the air, then adjust them back to where you want them.
Yeah, that sounds like what may have fixed it; I unplugged it, disconnected the connectors, and filled the canister back to the top. I did try rocking and shaking it before disassembly but it wasn't doing it. It was like the pump had gone weak, but I'm thinking maybe with all the air, it was just that there was air at the top of the canister not getting to where it needed to go. Thank you, you've been very helpful!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So eight days ago the flow drastically decreased, and I had to take the Eheim 2213 apart to try and get out any and all clogs. After that it started working fine again, so powerful I have to turn it down a little.

Now today the flow has dramatically decreased. The water is just low enough on the lily pipe that there should be some serious surface agitation but there's not much. Should I already have another clog after eight days? This filter is killing me.

I am having some algae issues that I am working on, maybe it's that.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Did you check the impeller shaft ? You can look at an online video to see how it is put together. The other issue is sometimes the sponges get clog and need cleaning. I have the 2217 - the primary sponge that causes reduction in flow is the polishing pad if you have one but occasionally if you don't clean it for a long time the coarse sponge at the bottom can be a bit filithy. These canister filters are pretty weak so it doesn't take much to obstruct flow. I had two 2217 on my 120 and eventually gave up on one of them (too much effort to clean) and replaced it with an fx6 (substantially larger filter) but left the other 2217 running for cross current.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it was the hoses, they were very clogged with goop/gunk/algae. I did the best I could with my wire brushes but they only go so far, and one of my hoses is a bit long, so I had to work on squeezing the hose here and there to try and loosen it up. Is there a better way to clean out a long hose?

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I had my 2215 I just used a standard hose/pipe brush from Amazon. At 5ft long it was a little ungainly to work with, but it certainly did the trick. Disconnect the inflow/outflow and shove the brush in. Clean the inflow/outflow separately, rinse, and reattach.

Also I just saw this post is about 2 weeks old so I'm sure you have long since solved your problem. Whoops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.