The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I've been dry starting my tank for the past 5 weeks, and now begining to think about filling it.

My questions:

1-EI
I ordered the ferts needed to do the Estimative Index (http://www.theplantguy.org/Estimative-Index-Combo_p_619.html), but I am having a hard time figuring out how much of each ferts to add and the frequency to do so. Do I need to dose the ferts right from the begining or do I wait a bit before the first dose?
HELP!

2-Heater
Right now, I have not bought my heater yet. It will be a Hydor Inline but I do not have it yet. I suppose it is no big deal as long as I don't get any fish? Temperature of the room is around 70F (21C).

3-Water changes
What do you recommend for water changes? I was planning 50% weekly WC.

4-Need a powerhead?
The filter is pretty big for the tank, but I read some people had problem with uneven Co2 distribution in the tank, would a small (80GPH?) powerhead be required?

Here is the specs of the tank:

-ADA 60p (16G)
-Finnex Ray2 24"
-Eheim 2217
-ADA Aquasoil (Amazonia)
-Carpeted with HC and DHG + Java moss of driftwood
-Pressurized Co2
-No fish for the first months

This is what it looked like 5 weeks ago, I added some more DHG and the HC has spreaded a bit (but not as much as I wanted)

Thanks a lot for anyone who would answer some of my questions! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
are you using ADA? where did you get the mini bonsai looking tree looks cool, I am looking for one. i saw the one on the for sale section but it was too expensive

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody?

Also, other question: I cleaned my filter yesterday because I had a snails problem at the end in my old tank (same filter). I thorougly cleaned the whole filter with a mix of water and bleach to make sure it would kill all the remaining snails.

I cleaned it yesterday and let everything dry, if I install the filter tonight, will the bleach be all gone? Will there be a danger to my HC and DHG?

Thanks!

I preped everything yesterday (pipes, filter and co2), I just need to fill now!

·
Registered
608 Posts
The water changes go on par with your dosing regimen since you're going with the EI method. Personally I would've used pps pro. The filter I would let that soak in a bucket with water and dechlorinator. You're tank looks awesome

·
Registered
608 Posts
You are the second person telling em that I should have bought PPS Pro. It does look simplier.

I will check with the store if I can send it back to get PPS Pro. Thanks!
Green leaf aquarium gives you the pps pro ferts and two fert dispensers for micros and macros for $30. Ei method doses excessive nutrients so a major weekly water change is necessary to reset. Pps pro doses only enough nutrients so no major water change is needed.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
The Ammazonia, is said to leech ammonia for some week's, and those who use it suggest two to three 50% water changes each week for first couple month's.(light +ammonia = algae)
Might send PM to member here "Plantbrain" Tom Barr for confirmation.
I think there are a couple different ADA soil's and i may be mistaken.
Hope I am.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
A lot of members are telling me that, I will for sure make big water changes for a month or two!

Does that mean I shouldn't add any shrimps fore that long? :( Wanted to add Amano Shrimps to control algea.
I think waiting would give you more flexibility while dialing in CO2.
Could increase it readily without fear of harming the shrimp or fishes.
Once CO2 was dialed in, good flow,distribution, thing's are stable,then I would add shrimp/fishes.
But that's just me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm about a week or two behind you with a very similar setup:

Mr Aqua. 17.4gallon (same size as ADA 60p)
Finnex Fugeray (I wasn't sure if it will be enough light, time will tell)
Eheim 2217
EI ferts
Hydor heater
HC and DHG carpet (haven't decided what else to plant in the background)

After filling I was planning to monitor the water quality and do water changes as dictated by ammonia levels. Heavy CO2 dosing to help the plants transition from emersed to submerged and a healthy batch of stem plants to help consume all the nutrients and light to help combat an algae. I had planned to dose ferts the first week. My DSM has been going for about a month now and a picture from earlier this week is attached below.

Our filters are quite large for this size of an aquarium so I think you'll be more than fine without a powerhead. Your tank is so clean with all that pretty glassware I'd avoid a powerhead just from an aesthetic point of view.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Tank looks great. IDK what the fuss about EI is. It is the easiest thing in the world to do. Takes me literally about 20 seconds to scoop the dry ferts and I just dump them right into the tank. A 50 percent water change on your system would take minutes. I guess this is irrelevant though since you are changing dosing systems.

I would imagine your filter would be effective moving water around, but you can always add a powerhead to increase flow. Just make sure you aren't kickin up your substrate.

The inline heater will work great. Hydor has earned a great deal of respect regarding their inline units.

Once you fill the tank up, you should ideally use some established media in your filter. That will enable the tank to cycle the fastest. ADA leaches ammonia and if there is not initial beneficial bacteria in the system, then you will have to do water changes to avoid the ammonia from reaching above 4ppm. It is argued that at that level and above, the ammonia begins to work as a disinfectant and it will actually hinder your beneficial bacteria from developing. If you jump start your system with established media, then the bacteria colony will keep the level in an acceptable range and you will not have to do any water changes if you don't want.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, I missed these comments!

Runner:
-Your DSM seems really nice. Don't make the same mistakes I did:
-Wait at least 7 weeks before putting water. My roots weren't established well enough :(
-Reduce the flow of the filter right at the begining. I kept it a full flow for about an hour, and a couple of HC just uprooted and I am having a hard time keeping some of the plants to the ground :(
-I added a REALLY small powerhead (1.5in wide, 50gph on ebay) right over my Co2 diffuser just to make sure the Co2 was going everywhere.

HigherThinking:
-I haven't started dosing yet, I am waiting for the rest of my ferts (they should be in by the end of the week). I am still debating if I should dose that early?
-The filter can move water, but I had to reduce the flow so much so the the substrate won't move, and now the circulation wasn't quite what I needed. So as stated below, I added a small 50gph power over my co2 diffuser. Works wonderful!
-I used my old media for the filter, but had to bleach the whole thing because I had a serious snails problem in my old tank, no way I was transfering snails in my new tank! So now I guess the media is considered "new", no bacteria in it :(
-I am doing 50% water changes every 3 days. Hope my amonia lowers soon, I need to add some Amano shrimps to get rid of the small algae I have!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Questions:

- I am doing 50% water changes every 3 days. Even if I add some Amano shrimps NOW, will they survive? I am struggling with some small hair algae, if I can take care of this NOW, I will sleep better at night ;)
- I am providing 8hours of light, and I think it might be a little too much (little bit of algae on rocks and a little hair algae on plants). Should I reduce to 6hours?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I filled at about week 5 like you. Roots looked solid and the HC stayed put very well. Some started to die back so I even moved a few around. Then some BGA took hold and quickly spread across a lot of my HC. Some hair BBA algae on a rock and some green, hair like algae on other rocks. I think I was too heavy on the light and not heavy enough on the CO2.

I too, just did like you and added some shrimp but they weren't feeling my BGA (I don't blame them, it is gross and stinks!). So today I pulled them out, did the one two punch (H2O2 followed by Excel) and will reintroduce them later this evening.

I was at 9 hours of light (I didn't change it from my DSM) and in hindsight I probably should have been at 6 hours. I started fertilizing day 1 too, as my phosphates kept testing at zero.

Good luck with the algae!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your scenario really resembles mine!

I think what happened to my HC not rooting, is that I just placed it on my substrate at first, not even taking care of aligning the roots to the substrate or pushing it in... Maybe thats what took them more time before rooting...

My Amano shrimps seem to do their job, almost no algae (but I treated with H2O2 yesterday, that might have to do with that).

Can't wait to get my ferts and scale (should be in by tomorrow) so I can start dosing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts