The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the process of restarting my 50 gallon planted aquarium. I purchased 2 9 liter bags of aqua soil and some sand for the non-planted area. I know some people use power sand under the aqua soil but it is very expensive and I was hoping to use an inert lava rock in pantyhose instead. I was wondering who else has gone this route and if so where did you purchase your lava rock from? Or if you used a different filler media what did you go with.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I haven't done this personally. I just have AS with nothing under it, but has seen a few posts on various forums where this was done. I would see no problem in using cheap ceramic filter media or the smaller bagged volcanic rock that you find at garden centers and home improvement stores. I prefer the ceramic media idea; uniform in size, should allow for decent water flow and might not require as much washing as a bag of lava rock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.